This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Hardware

HP Pavilion dv5 1120us Laptop Stops Responding

7 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Windows Vista 64 bit AMD Turion Dual Core RM-72 2.10 Ghz 4 G RAM It doesn't matter what I am doing, the screen will go gray and nothing I push will restart the laptop. usually have to hold down the power button then restart . It comes up and says that Windows was stopped abnormally and gives me choices of how to start back up. What other information does anyone need to help me figure this out? I'm at my wits end over this. I do have external fans running to help cool this machine, too! 2/1/2010 Gosh, I'm starting to feel ignored here. The last several times I've posted for some help, I never get any kind of response. Am I doing something wrong?
Is User Account Control turned on? if so, this does grey out the screen and shows a box in the middle of the screen that ask permission for programs to run. if this is the problem, go to Start > Control Panel > If using Control Panel Home, Click "User Accounts and Family Safety" > User Accounts Then Click "Turn User Account Control on or off" (enter password if prompted) Untick the box and then apply and restart. if you are using Classic View, Click User Accounts Then Click "Turn User Account Control on or off" (enter password if prompted) Untick the box and then apply and restart. Hope this helps Duey
Nope, there is just a backlit screen! I've tried left and right clicking with the mouse, the touchpad and hitting enter on the keyboard. The thing just stops responding!
just a guess here but with there being problems with your display, have you installed the correct drivers?
when the screen goes blank, can you see your mouse pointer?
try loading vista in Low Screen Res Mode (keep tapping F8 just before windows starts but after BIOS screen) i think the screen res is 640x480.

if that doesn't work and it has only started recently, try a system restore. there should be an option for "Repair Your Computer" on the F8 Menu screen used earlier, select this then system restore. only click it once, it may take time to load. if there is no option on the F8 menu for "Repair Your Computer" you will need a Vista Install Disk.

If you use the disk, set your languge and keyboard layout, click next and the option will be in the bottom left of the display and follow instructions outlined above. select a restore point before the problem started. (i know this is obvious but better doing it once than twice right?)

Hope to hear how you get on…

Duey
I have tried all of the above. There is no rhyme or reason when this happens.. It can happen when I first boot up and have only been operating for less than 5 minutes or it can happen after it has been on for hours. I'm at a loss to be quite honest. There has to be a corrupted file somewhere but finding it is the problem!

Try, as others suggest, downloading an ISO for puppy linux (apparantly it's about 100mb but don't quote me on that) and burn that to a CD. boot the CD (after restarting computer) (you may need to alter the boot order in the BIOS first so make a note of all your current settings) when the menu loads, select the "Try without installing" (it will probably be phrased differently but i've never used puppy linux myself so i don't know the exact phrasing)


when puppy linux (or any other linux distro that you choose) or boots, try it without installing it. if the computer continues to respond properly then this does in fact suggest a problem with your windows installation. If the computer still fails to operate correctly when using Linux, this suggests a problem with your current hardware setup.

Hope this helps

Duey

I have tried all of the above. There is no rhyme or reason when this happens.. It can happen when I first boot up and have only been operating for less than 5 minutes or it can happen after it has been on for hours. I'm at a loss to be quite honest. There has to be a corrupted file somewhere but finding it is the problem!



Hi Punkinsmom,

Rhyme and reason would probably be involved if the problem relates to a corrupted file.
That is, every time that file was accessed, the problem would appear.
Is there a type of computer activity that is "more likely" to cause the problem to appear?

Intermittent-time-of-problem could, related to heat or faulty hardware, though I would expect:
– Heat would be related to duration of on-time, and/or intensity of graphics demand application being run
– Faulty hardware would possibly be related to movement of the machine.

to trouble-shoot for corrupt file, use these instructions from Microsoft:
Source: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929833
*** Note: Please only use the portion of the instructions that I have quoted below.
The remaining second portion of the MS instruction on that page involve advanced steps that may not apply to your situation and which require additional instruction before using.

Use the System File Checker tool (SFC.exe) to determine which file is causing the issue, and then replace the file. To do this, follow these steps:

1. Open an elevated command prompt. To do this, click Start, click All Programs, click Accessories, right-click Command Prompt, and then click Run as administrator. If you are prompted for an administrator password or for a confirmation, type the password, or click Allow.
2. Type the following command, and then press ENTER:
sfc /scannow
The sfc /scannow command scans all protected system files and replaces incorrect versions with correct Microsoft versions.

To determine which files could not be repaired by the System File Checker tool, follow these steps:

1. Open an elevated command prompt.
2. Type the following command, and then press ENTER:
findstr /C:"[SR] Cannot repair member file" %windir%\logs\cbs\cbs.log >sfcdetails.txt
Note The Sfcdetails.txt file contains details from every time that the System File Checker tool has been run on the computer. The file includes information about files that were not repaired by the System File Checker tool. Verify the date and time entries to determine the problem files that were found the last time that you ran the System File Checker tool.
3. Type the following command, and then press ENTER:
edit sfcdetails.txt

Ok, ran SFC Here is the result of the text file 2010-02-09 17:33:41, Info CSI 0000016b [SR] Cannot repair member file [l:24{12}]"settings.ini" of Microsoft-Windows-Sidebar, Version = 6.0.6002.18005, pA = PROCESSOR_ARCHITECTURE_AMD64 (9), Culture neutral, VersionScope = 1 nonSxS, PublicKeyToken = {l:8 b:31bf3856ad364e35}, Type neutral, TypeName neutral, PublicKey neutral in the store, hash mismatch 2010-02-09 17:33:46, Info CSI 0000016d [SR] Cannot repair member file [l:24{12}]"settings.ini" of Microsoft-Windows-Sidebar, Version = 6.0.6002.18005, pA = PROCESSOR_ARCHITECTURE_AMD64 (9), Culture neutral, VersionScope = 1 nonSxS, PublicKeyToken = {l:8 b:31bf3856ad364e35}, Type neutral, TypeName neutral, PublicKey neutral in the store, hash mismatch 2010-02-09 17:42:32, Info CSI 000002ea [SR] Cannot repair member file [l:24{12}]"settings.ini" of Microsoft-Windows-Sidebar, Version = 6.0.6002.18005, pA = PROCESSOR_ARCHITECTURE_AMD64 (9), Culture neutral, VersionScope = 1 nonSxS, PublicKeyToken = {l:8 b:31bf3856ad364e35}, Type neutral, TypeName neutral, PublicKey neutral in the store, hash mismatch 2010-02-09 17:42:32, Info CSI 000002ec [SR] Cannot repair member file [l:24{12}]"settings.ini" of Microsoft-Windows-Sidebar, Version = 6.0.6002.18005, pA = PROCESSOR_ARCHITECTURE_AMD64 (9), Culture neutral, VersionScope = 1 nonSxS, PublicKeyToken = {l:8 b:31bf3856ad364e35}, Type neutral, TypeName neutral, PublicKey neutral in the store, hash mismatch
Hi Punkismom,

Have you tried running a bootable version of Linux (for instance, Puppy as mentioned above)
If not will you please do so. (running Linux from optical disk and not installing Linux)

Running a Linux bootable disk will allow you to determine if the computer and screen display functions correctly.
You can navigate around with the Linux operating system, but do not perform any application or utility functions.
We are just trying to verify that the Hardware is capable of displaying correctly…. or not.

this will help us determine that the problem is hardware or Vista file corruption related.
_____________________

Does the owner have the original Vista installation CD? (should have come with purchase of the machine)
The type of report you received from SFC suggests that:
a problem may have occurred when upgrading to Vista SP1
or
A problem exists that will only be resolved with an in-place reinstallation of Vista (including reinstall of updates)

We are not at the point of needing to reinstall just yet.
First try the bootable Linux, as per above.

Report back your results.
In-place reinstall "should not" disturb the owner's saved data files, documents, pictures and such.
However, it is always better to assure that the owner's saved material is safely backed up to external media (CD or external hard drive)
Please report back about readiness of backup so that we know the owner's materials are secure before proceeding.
I'll try the Linux OS and get back to you. I'm in the process of backing up the drive, it should be finished by the time I get home this evening. On another note, I was doing fine since disable the side bar (which I miss) until I plugged in my external HP Pocket Drive. It took the system down as before, no cursor or anything, just the back lit display. This is so weird!
You can close this. I finally found out where my problem was. I had my computer plugged into a power strip and evidently I was getting power drops and spikes through the darned thing and the battery was dying in the process. I now have a new battery and a new UPS with line conditioning and the laptop has been running top notch. Thanks for all suggestions on this.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI