This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

AVG 7 Files Stuck

11 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

I'm trying to install the newest AVG. It says I have AVG 7 installed somewhere. In a search it comes up with nothing but a hijackthis shows where it is. How can I uninstall these files to install the newest AVG. Also please let me know if theres anything else I can uninstall. Please move this to the appropriate place. :) 📎HJT_for_Starwalker.txt Edit: I rolled up your HJT into an attached file, since we don't analyze HJT here in the Tech Forums.
Have you checked to assure that AVG is not an installed utility listed in Control Panel - Add/Remove ??
If an AVG named utility is present, use Control Panel - Add/Remove to uninstall it.
_______________________

Still got those pesky 023 AVG services listed ??

Services can be deleted using a command prompt.

The "name" of each of the three AVG related services that are troubling you include:
Avg7Alrt
Avg7UpdSvc
AVGEMS

________________________

You can verify the existence of and confirm that the true "name" of the service(s) by viewing Services

Start - Run - (type)services.msc - press Enter

Services are listed alphabetically.
You should find:

AVG7 Alert manager Server - real service name: Avg7Alrt
AVG7 Update Service - real service name: Avg7updSvc
AVG E-mail Scanner - real service name: AVGEMS

You can double-click on the service to expand its identity and status panel, where you will see the actual "name" as the first item listed in the General Tab
_______________________-

To delete these Services —

Open a Command Prompt

Start - Run - (type)cmd - press Enter

You will now be viewing a dos type box with a blinking cursor appearing after the sequence - C:\Documents and Settings\yourusername>
At the blinking cursor (type)cd\ then press Enter

You will now be looking at a blinking cursor after the sequence: C:\>

Type each of the following lines separately one at a time and press Enter after each line (C:\> will automatically appear – then you type the remaining sequence & press Enter

C:\>sc delete Avg7Alrt then press Enter (notice space required before and after the word delete)
C:\>sc delete Avg7updSvc then press Enter
C:\>sc delete AVGEMS then press Enter

C:\>exit then press Enter

Reboot your machine
The pesky AVG services will be gone, and you should be able to install your new AntiVirus

*** Notice: AVG has caused some difficult problems recently. As a result, some of us have stopped recommending it to our Members. Proceed at your own risk.
You may alternatively benefit from considering the free versions of:
AVIRA
AVAST!
Hi, AVG does seems to be a pain anymore. I am downloading the Avast. How do I clean the PC and get rid of the partial download of AVG or make sure no left over files are left? Thank you for the Avast link. I just downloaded it. I love it. :wub:
Hi Starwalker,

Here is my "manual" method.
Many Techs will recommend CleanUp! 4.52 or Ccleaner, or ATF-Cleaner. <– all great products
However, in my experience automated cleanup tools may leave hard to delete files and/or selectively allow certain types of temp files to remain behind.
________________________

(the following is written for XP and is also appropriate for Vista, but I have not validated the steps for Windows 7 as yet. Should work, but some of the terminology may be different.)

Restart the computer and begin tapping the F8 key before Windows starts to load. Use the arrow keys to select Safe Mode and press Enter. Log on to the Administrator account and click Yes to continue.

Click Start, My Computer, Tools, Folder Options, and View. Select "Show hidden files and folders", click OK. Leave the window open for now.

Click Start and Run, type Temp and click OK to open the folder. Click Edit and Select All, then click File and Delete. Confirm the deletion if prompted. Close the folder.

In the My Computer window, double-click the C drive. Right-click "Documents and Settings" and click Search. Type "temp" under filename (please include the quotes around temp). Under "More advanced options", select "Search hidden files and folders" and "Search subfolders". Click Search.

When the search completes, double-click the separators to the left and right of "In Folder" so that the location of the Temp files and folders can be seen. For each Local Settings folder, delete the Temp folder it contains by right-clicking and clicking Delete.

When done, click "Change file name". Type Content.ie5 under filename and click Search. Delete all of the Content.ie5 folders.

Close Search.

Now those temps and temporary internet files will be in your Recycle Bin.
You can safely leave them there for a few days if you would prefer to verify that your machine's status remains as you prefer.
(you will loose some "saved password logon" routines, and will probably have to enter your username and password at various websites with that requirement)

Empty your Recycle Bin when you are ready to do so.
AppRemover is a free utility that enables users to remove antivirus and other applications as well as left over files from incomplete uninstallations. AppRemover focuses specifically on cleanly, safely, and successfully uninstalling security software.

Home: http://www.appremover.com/

Reviews : Download.com ; Technibble.

Hi, AVG does seems to be a pain anymore. I am downloading the Avast. How do I clean the PC and get rid of the partial download of AVG or make sure no left over files are left?

Thank you for the Avast link. I just downloaded it. I love it. :wub:


Once uninstalled, you can delete the AVG Folder and all of its contents from C:\program files\Grisoft or c:\program files\AVG

It should not be necessary to pursue further efforts to remove stray AVG files that may have been placed around the operating system.
Neither should it be necessary to deal with any orphans (file missing items) in the registry.

Occasionally exceptions to the above statements do arise, but in generally not.
It more often provokes more risk than benefit to deal with such, especially in the registry.

Let us know how you are getting along with your project.

Best Regards

How do I clean the PC and get rid of the partial download of AVG or make sure no left over files are left?


PC cluttering, shortcuts to non existent programs, junk and redundant files, invalid application paths result in bugs and errors, are usually caused when you improperly uninstall software. Registry keys/values were left behind on your PC. That all can cripple your computer. Make your computer stable and run faster. Fully uninstall AVG - see AVG official forum.

AppRemover is a free utility that enables users to remove antivirus and other applications as well as left over files from incomplete uninstallations. AppRemover focuses specifically on cleanly, safely, and successfully uninstalling security software.

Home: http://www.appremover.com/

Reviews : Download.com ; Technibble.


Thanks arTech for your helpful contributions and recommendations.

The practice of WTT Tech Team is to evaluate procedures and tools prior to recommending instructions or tool download to our general Membership and readers. This practice may include comparative research, performance evaluation on test-bed machines, experience posted by other respected sources, and test use under conditions similar to those presented in requests for assistance.
***Note: We do not pretend to be a final authoritative evaluator nor do we certify procedures and products…. we do, however, exercise care and forethought before making recommendations.
***Note: WTT offers recommendations based on the best knowledge and skill based experience of our volunteer helpers. Members, readers, and problem-solvers can decide for themselves whether or not to follow our recommendations. The Member, reader or problem-solver, accepts final responsibility for the repair, maintenance, changes and additions which they may apply to their own equipment and systems.

Because Appremover has not received sufficient testing and verification by our staff and other authorities with whom we consult, we do not support its recommendation at this time.

We do not imply that there is any failing on your part, and realize that you may have further researched and used this tool successfully yourself.

We are quite open to reading user experience and feedback, and we are not making a blanket statement against this apparently new utility.

Instead, we offer the manual steps as posted above.
If we were to recommend third-party tools beyond native windows tools in this problem thread, they would most likely include:
Revo Uninstaller
Unlocker

Otherwise, your additional reference to AVG's own uninstaller procedure, is thoughtful and likely to assist this user.

Best Regards
I'm new member on WTT and I'm very pleased with rules, arrangement and mission. Respect. I never used AVG and can't try what I recommend, but I had similar problems with Kaspersky AVP and Zone Alarm (my Topic "Remove fidbox.dat"). Think that especially improperly uninstalled AV programs can clutter PC, because these programs are serious and get into many important parts of system files and OS. Until now I recommended only freeware although there are better shareware. After all I'll try Appremover by myself and want to know opinion and experience of our members correlated with this new tool. Best Regards
I tried out AppRemover. Program is imagined and focused as security application removal tool (when AV programs do not uninstall completely - that's often) and it's a good idea. I read great reviews and forum opinion about tool. This freeware program starts as portable. My NOD 32, Outpost Firewall Pro and Windows Defender didn't give attention all the time. Well-designed user friendly interface (wizard like). There are two options: remove security applications or a clean up failed software uninstall. AppRemover done it's job quietly. And what found on my PC? Nothing at all. That isn't that surprise because PC is clean, but it didn't find NOD32. Manufacturer recommends that user send Report in that case. What can I say? Unfortunately can't say anything about efficiency and safety. I would have use such tools, but think that AppRemover programmers possibly have to improve the uninstalling process. After all as Doug said: it will be helpful to reading user experience and feedback, but because Appremover hasn't received sufficient testing and verification, we don't support tool at this time.

I tried out AppRemover.

Program is imagined and focused as security application removal tool (when AV programs do not uninstall completely - that's often) and it's a good idea. I read great reviews and forum opinion about tool.

This freeware program starts as portable. My NOD 32, Outpost Firewall Pro and Windows Defender didn't give attention all the time. Well-designed user friendly interface (wizard like). There are two options: remove security applications or a clean up failed software uninstall.

AppRemover done it's job quietly. And what found on my PC? Nothing at all. That isn't that surprise because PC is clean, but it didn't find NOD32. Manufacturer recommends that user send Report in that case.

What can I say? Unfortunately can't say anything about efficiency and safety. I would have use such tools, but think that AppRemover programmers possibly have to improve the uninstalling process.

After all as Doug said: it will be helpful to reading user experience and feedback, but because Appremover hasn't received sufficient testing and verification, we don't support tool at this time.



Hi arTech,

Your single use experience is similar to that of others of our Techs who volunteered to test this application on their own test-bed machines.

The application did not detect the presence of various well-known branded security software and also left obvious orphan remnants such as folders and files in C:\Program File\ and C:\Program Files\Common

This application may someday prove its worth, but it is not yet "ready for prime-time" , as they say in the entertainment industry.

WTT does not support the tool at this time.
Better solution for uninstalling your security utility applications is often found at the publisher's own website. (e.g. AVG Grisoft, McAffee, Norton)

In absence of a good solution from the security applicaton's own website, try:

Control Panel - Add/Remove
or
Revo Uninstaller
or
Carefully read the instructions before using: Windows Installer CleanUp Utility

Have you checked to assure that AVG is not an installed utility listed in Control Panel - Add/Remove ??
If an AVG named utility is present, use Control Panel - Add/Remove to uninstall it.
_______________________

Still got those pesky 023 AVG services listed ??

Services can be deleted using a command prompt.

The "name" of each of the three AVG related services that are troubling you include:
Avg7Alrt
Avg7UpdSvc
AVGEMS

________________________

You can verify the existence of and confirm that the true "name" of the service(s) by viewing Services

Start - Run - (type)services.msc - press Enter

Services are listed alphabetically.
You should find:

AVG7 Alert manager Server - real service name: Avg7Alrt
AVG7 Update Service - real service name: Avg7updSvc
AVG E-mail Scanner - real service name: AVGEMS

You can double-click on the service to expand its identity and status panel, where you will see the actual "name" as the first item listed in the General Tab
_______________________-

To delete these Services —

Open a Command Prompt

Start - Run - (type)cmd - press Enter

You will now be viewing a dos type box with a blinking cursor appearing after the sequence - C:\Documents and Settings\yourusername>
At the blinking cursor (type)cd\ then press Enter

You will now be looking at a blinking cursor after the sequence: C:\>

Type each of the following lines separately one at a time and press Enter after each line (C:\> will automatically appear – then you type the remaining sequence & press Enter

C:\>sc delete Avg7Alrt then press Enter (notice space required before and after the word delete)
C:\>sc delete Avg7updSvc then press Enter
C:\>sc delete AVGEMS then press Enter

C:\>exit then press Enter

Reboot your machine
The pesky AVG services will be gone, and you should be able to install your new AntiVirus

*** Notice: AVG has caused some difficult problems recently. As a result, some of us have stopped recommending it to our Members. Proceed at your own risk.
You may alternatively benefit from considering the free versions of:
AVIRA
AVAST!

Your post is very useful to me, even its dated back to 2010. :clap:

 

As I have no printer for few years then I decided to remove the software for it :blush:  yes about time  :blush:

I was told that printer spooler is not starting so I google & learn about services.msc, I shocked to see AVG 7 still there. I uninstalled AVG long time ago :rant2:

I am not expert in this field and am worry whether it is safe to disabled or preferable to remove it from services.msc till I found your post here by google. Many thanks :thumbup:

 

I joined this forum today so I will know where to asking for help in case I need. :yeah:  :yeah:

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI