This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

"Invisible" files on Windows Explorer

3 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Hi all, I'm at work right now, I'm using Windows XP and I need to access a certain folder of a network drive. I have full access to this folder (I've always had access to it), but now it appears to be empty. :smack: This folder is maintained by a colleague who sits right beside me, and she can see and edit everything inside this folder. I've already run the antivirus on my computer, but nothing was found. I tried all those silly things (like restarting the computer), and the folder is still "empty". :pullhair: Oh, before I forget, when I try to list the files on that folder via remote access (telnet), I can see all the files. Has anybody here seen something similar on Windows Explorer? Sorry for my bad English and thanks in advance, Milena
You can try going to Control Panel > Folder Options > View and checking the check box for "Display the content of system folders", unchecking the box for "Hide protected operating system files" and clicking the circle for "Show hidden files and folders". If that doesn't work I would recommend undoing those actions unless they were already set for that.

You can try going to Control Panel > Folder Options > View and checking the check box for "Display the content of system folders", unchecking the box for "Hide protected operating system files" and clicking the circle for "Show hidden files and folders". If that doesn't work I would recommend undoing those actions unless they were already set for that.


Hi Vectris,

Thanks for the hint, I tried doing what you recommended, but it didn't work, maybe because it's not something on my own computer, but on a network drive we use for saving calculations data and results (and sharing them). *sigh*

Yes, I had to call Help Desk and, yes, it will take them a lot of time to fix that. In the meanwhile, my colleague and I will need to create new folders (using more space of this network drive) or send the files to each other via email… *double sigh*
Hello Milena :wavey:

If you haven't already found the help your looking for, you can try this link

Here at WhattheTech we don't really help out people in a business situation, though if the computer is owned by you and you use it for work, then we can assist to certain degrees.

I hope that the link above can assist you.

Please let us know how you are going so we can advise further. :)

Best Regards,
Jkc73 ;)

Hello Milena :wavey:

If you haven't already found the help your looking for, you can try this link

Here at WhattheTech we don't really help out people in a business situation, though if the computer is owned by you and you use it for work, then we can assist to certain degrees.

I hope that the link above can assist you.

Please let us know how you are going so we can advise further. :)

Best Regards,
Jkc73 ;)


Hi Jkc,

One of the guys from work told me that probably the problem is a configuration mistake on the server that contains the folder or something like that. Anyway, I had to call help desk and now I'm still waiting (that's what I hate the most, waiting for something if I can try to solve the problem by myself).

Thanks again,

Milena

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI