So I was doing a presentation from my flash drive, but when I plugged it on this school computer, an "Antivirus" thing pops out and starts scanning. At that point, I knew I was screwed because the interface looked face as hell but by the time I plugged it out I was too late: all my files were gone.
My viruscans didn't really find anything but when it scanned, it still showed the files exist path-wise. They're not even hidden file types cos I have hidden visible set and all I can see is one Autorun.inf that I can't even open because it says "Access Denied". The viruscans showed my files existed in a path like this:
H:/ /filenames
It's like, theres this blank space between the drive name and the folders/files that's causing it to be invisible. I've tried manually DIR-ing it in the command prompt and found nothing, as if the path is broken or cut off. And yet when I click properties it shows that the files are still in fact there.
I can no longer access that virus'd PC and I've taken my USB home and it didn't try anything on my PC. I am also able to store new content on it without having it disappear in my face. So this is what I need to know: How do I get my files back? Will I ever get them back? And if so, how do I use any of your detectors like HijackThis since they can't scan external drives?
My absolute last option is to format the thing, but I really don't want it to come to that. Please help.
My name is patndoris. I will be glad to take a look at your log and help you with solving any malware problems. It will be very helpful if you follow these guidelines:
Malware logs are often lengthy and can take a lot of time to research and interpret. Please be patient while I review your logs.
Please note that there is no "Quick Fix" to modern malware infections and we may need to use several different approaches to get your system clean.
Please make sure to carefully read any instruction that I give you. If you're not sure, or if something unexpected happens, do NOT continue! Stop and ask!
Please follow my instructions carefully and in the order they are posted. You may also find it helpful to print out the instructions you receive.
Please do not run any scans or install/uninstall any applications or delete anything without being directed to do so.
Remember, absence of symptoms does not mean the infection is all gone. Please stick with me till you're given the "all clear".
Please do not use the Attachment feature for any log file. Do a Copy/Paste of the entire contents of the log file and submit it inside your post.
Please reply within 3 days. If I do not hear back from you in that time frame, I will post a reminder for you. Topics with no reply in 4 days are closed!
Since you've already plugged the USB into your home computer, let's continue to try and work on it ONLY from that machine. If we are successful at retrieving the files, we need to make sure both the USB and your home computer as disinfected afterwards.
Let's give something a try with just one file. If this works, then we could try doing them all at once but if you don't have a lot of files on there it may be safer to do them one at a time. No guarantees here, but if you can still see the file names in what appears to be some kind of hidden file then it's possible we can retrieve them.
You obviously have a bit of knowledge with the command prompt so let's work from there.