This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Rapidly losing hard-drive space

3 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Howdy, I thought I had space on my C drive, but then I got a low-disc space warning. I compressed old files, etc., but that wasn't enough, so I uninstalled some unessential programs until I had a little over the required 200 MB free. But then the low-disc space warning came up again, and I rapidly started losing space (10 MB every time I checked). In a panic I did the disc-cleaner thing again, but there wasn't much to clean, and uninstalled Works because I had it on disc so I could install it again later, and moved stuff into another drive. I turned the computer off and when I turned it back on it said I had 500 MB free, but it rapidly went down to 30MB! Then I knew there was something wrong. I ran AntiVir and it didn't find any viruses, but there were 23 warnings, and they were for files that it couldn't open. I tried downloading a free trial of Kaspersky, but I didn't have enough room, so I had to uninstall AntiVir, but then I lost more space, so I still didn't have enough room. I turned my computer on and off again, and it seems to be hovering around 200MB free. So I did the Kaspersky online scan and it says 0 viruses, infected objects or suspicious objects found, but it skipped about 58 files because "object is locked". What's going on? Would someone please help me! Here's the Kaspersky online results just in case. file:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/user/Desktop/kasp%20scan.html PS - my other HD hasn't been affected at all.
Being "virus free" doesn't mean that you have no spyware infections on your machine. What anti-Spyware utilities do you have installed on the machine? Ad-Aware? Spybot Search & Destroy? Ewido? If you have them, update and run them. If you don't have them, let us know. Best Regards
Thank you for replying to my post. I am sure that I do have a virus. I just need to find out what to do about it. I don't have any anti-spyware programs on my computer currently. As I said below I had AntiVir, but when I tried installing Kaspersky it said I had to uninstall any other anti-virus programs because they would conflict, so I uninstalled AntiVir, but then I didn't have any room to install the Kaspersky. Do you know of another online virus scanner that will deal with the virus I have? As I'm writing this the low-disc space warning has popped up twice, though I had over 200MB free when I turned the computer on. I guess there is some more stuff I could delete to make room so I could install another anti-virus program if you know of one that will get rid of what I have. Should I try the ones you mentioned in your post? My room-mate says Ad-Aware is the smallest so I'll try that. Oh yeah, and my CD-ROM all of a sudden isn't working either, so I can't burn stuff to CD to make more room on my C drive, and my other drive that isn't affected is full. I assume it isn't safe to just delete all the "locked" files. Thanks again.

I could install another anti-virus program if you know of one that will get rid of what I have.


Trouble is…. We don't know what you have.

HJT and expert advice in the HJT Forum is what I'd recommend.

In the meantime, you should severely limit your online time, due to risk of losing important identity information.

If you happen to have FireFox or Opera, use either of those instead of IE whenever you are online, and when you communicate to the HJT Forum

This link will help you get a good start with HighJackThis! (HJT.exe) Don't make any changes (fixes) until you get advice from one of the HJT experts.

Best Regards
I apologize, I'm new to this, I didn't realize that there was a difference between anti-virus programs and anti-spyware programs. I've run the ones you mentioned and they didn't find anything, so I've posted on the HJT forum with my HJT log as you suggested. Again, thank you.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI