Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 91680 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

A couple of questions...hope I'm in the right place.

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Bob Joyce

Bob Joyce

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 21 December 2009 - 06:57 PM

This machine is a Dell Latitude running XP. 1. Start up is extremely slow . This appears to be a result of Zone Alarm's slow initialization process. I would like to replace ZA and Symantec Virus protection with AVG ( unless someone knows of a better alternative). My question here is how dificult is it to uninstall Symantic? Another technician walked me through the process on another computer and indicated that simply using uninstall would not get rid of everything. I wasn't smart enough to write it down. I was very pleased with the results and like AVG. 2. After start up, I usually get a message that IE cannot make the internet connection and would I like to run the diagnostics. Usually after running the diagnostics, IE says no problem was found. I then make the connection to my home page with no further problems. Occasionally, I am forced to reboot (particularly when explorer has not been used for a while). Any Idea as to what is happening here? 3. What is a "super Hub" ? I have a Belkin 4-port hub, but when I try to use one of my 2GB flash pens, I get a the message that I need a "super hub". Is this the proper forum if I have questions when I try to hook up a new wireless modem? Thank you for any help!

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#2 8210GUY

8210GUY

SuperMember

• Visiting Tech
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,284 posts
  • Interests:Hoping to die.

Posted 22 December 2009 - 10:28 AM

1. There are a few options, it may be ZA causing a slow load, or it could be other things, I suggest having a bit of a work through here before deciding if to change it, for an anti virus my weapon of choice is Avast, but an alternate is Avir, both are respected solutions and free for personal use.
Norton has a simple solution, just get and use they're uninstaller and it will remove everything, it is easy and painless to do, but uninstalling without the tool can lead to other protection picking up traces left behind and playing up.

2. The connection issue is almost certainly down to the slow start up, it is quite simply the parts that allow you to connect are further down the start up list, so take longer to load, but again we can have a play and see how it goes.

3. Never heard of that personally, but a search seems to suggest it is simply a mass USB hub, eg 16 ports or more, just wondering, your hub, is it powered or does it take it's power from the system ?
Just wondering if it may be requiring more power than the system is comfortable with perhaps, but this is pure assumption on my part, if you know someone who has a powered one (assuming you don't) then it is simple to check if the message goes away.

Now the slow start up, best advice ATM is to get and run WinPatrol, this allows you to control your start up items, and also helps protect your hosts file among other things, but with this installed, launch it and click on the start up tab, it will list all that starts with the system, highlight then click remove on items not required, and disable any items that keep coming back, but make sure you know what it is your stopping from starting incase it is required, if your unsure then reply back with whats shown and we can advise what to leave\remove, then we can see how it starts behaving.

Do you run any junk file cleaners and perform any maintenance at all on the system ?
This can have a massive impact on a system, also how much free space does the drive have ? again this can have a massive impact, so see how you go and report back and we can take it from there.
As to the wireless query Networking may be more appropriate, read the description under each heading and see which one fits the best for your query.

Braindead

#3 Bob Joyce

Bob Joyce

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 22 December 2009 - 11:03 PM

Thanks, 8210GUY! 1. I'm pretty sure that AZ is the biggest problem since after its removal on my other computer, start up was much faster. I am going to run WinPatrol tomorrow, but I've noticed at least 4 start ups that don't need to be there (including one for a printer that I know longer even have!). I'll use tthe Norton removal tool tomorrow as well. I want to locate my disc and product key code first. 2. This seems to have gone away for the time being...maybe you hexed it! 3. The USB hub is powered separetly from the computer and goes to a power strip. You are correct, Kingston Data says the best way is to plug the pen directly into the USB on the computer. Can't do that on this laptop. There no file cleaners on this machine. I do run Spybot about once a week. I clear cookies, temp files, and history every couple of days and defrag weekly. The hard drive is 18.6 GB with 9.25 available. My wife is using this computer for college courses, but once we have her new one set up a lot of space should be restored. The wireless modem/router I am going to use is a ZOOM ADSL X6. This laptop and her new computer are both wireless ready, but my old beast is not. Thanks again for your time and help!

#4 8210GUY

8210GUY

SuperMember

• Visiting Tech
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,284 posts

Posted 23 December 2009 - 04:48 AM

Well ZA may well be the main cause of the slow start up, there are those who just can't seem to run it without hassle, if this is the case I usually swap them over to Comodo, it's too complex for my needs as I like complete control, but it's a very respected choice and often what people struggling with ZA go over too.
As too Norton the removal tool reminds you to back up your licence before uninstalling, but Norton is also a well known cause of system slow downs, it can be a serious resource hog, so going along 1 item at a time to identify the cause of the slow boot is the way to go, then you know what is causing this, WinPatrol can help a lot with this as you can disable start up items rather than delete\remove then wonder what file it was after to put it back.

That sounds like the typical TV repair mans job, you call them out for all sorts of issues, yet when he turns up everything is fine lol.
As far as USB ports go, I've never understood such issues, it seems to be a real pain to understand, some work fine, other times no matter what you try you get messages like this device can perform faster .... and the like, the only purposed solution I've seen is to install the OS complete with service packs, not adding service packs after.

To aid cleaning junk\temp files I suggest getting Disk Cleaner, CCleaner (watch out for the check boxes during the install, I suggest unchecking the bottom one minimum), and CleanUp (xp only), each finds files the other doesn't, so they may well find a lot more junk to clear.
Another quick thing if you want is to reduce the amount of space system restore uses, it takes 12% by default in xp (15% in vista), so click on Start - Control Panel - System, then click the system restore tab and move the slider down to 2% or 3%, obviously means restore points will be reduced, but generally speaking those that require system restore only need to go back a short time anyway, see how you get on and let us know.

Braindead

#5 Bob Joyce

Bob Joyce

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 28 December 2009 - 12:03 PM

Hello, 8210Guy Sorry for the delay. Holiday took up more "resources" than I anticipated. Hope you and yours had a pleasant holiday. I finally got to download and run WinPatrol. This is a pretty cool tool. It found several start-ups that definately have to go! I tried to print the report, but couldn't do it. Three programs for a Lexmark printer that we don't have any more! I've got a couple of questionable ones. One is DadApp.exe which appears to be an access direct program for Dell. I don't plan on doing any business with Dell, so I figure it can go. One is for H-P product support which we do use, but I don't think it needs to be there at start-up. I have one for Spybot S&D Tea Timer, but I don't know if it needs to be in the start-up. It is convenient when I want to run Spybot. Windows Messenger is in start up, but we've never used MSMSGS. Is it OK to dump this one? So, what do you think? The wife says to leave Norton alone until her new 'puter is set up...so that is a moot point. I am still inclined to dump ZA, but I'll wait until we've tried other things you suggest. Just In case I don't get a chance to communicate before News Year eve...You and yours have a very Happy New Year!!

#6 8210GUY

8210GUY

SuperMember

• Visiting Tech
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,284 posts

Posted 28 December 2009 - 06:09 PM

Hi, NP been manic myself, be glad when it's all over TBH, anyway everything you've mentioned can happily go, but so you're aware TeaTimer is real time cover from Spybot, I no longer use that component, and it can easily be turned off in it's settings and used as a standalone scanner which will work just fine. MSMSGS on the other hand is windows messenger (as you say), I suggest disabling this in the services menu, but this is not to be confused with msn\WLM, it has the same kind of purpose, but has been used to spam people, so it;s always recommended to stop this in the control panel under services in the admin controls, if you need more direct instructions on how to just holla, and I'll list it full for you, but you sound like you know your way round the system a bit, hope this helps a bit anyway.

Braindead

#7 Bob Joyce

Bob Joyce

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 04 January 2010 - 10:23 AM

Hi, 8210GUY The H'days are finally over! I' ve done most of what you suggested. The cursed XP internet connection message has returned, but we've just retired the laptop for awhile. I'll get back to it later and finish it up. Just hooked up the wife's new 'puter and it seems to be pretty nice (Dell Vostro). I got both the Dell and the laptop up on the wireless with no problem. Still have to set up some security parameters, though. I'm going to down load WinPatrol on it in a few minutes because her start up tray is loaded! I've got one more question if you've got the time. This machine has XP and Macafee was installed. I don't have any issues with M-fee, but i'd always heard that XP's firewall and virus protection don't play well with other protections. Is this true and should I find out how to disable XP's protections? Thanks again, for all of your help!

#8 8210GUY

8210GUY

SuperMember

• Visiting Tech
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,284 posts

Posted 04 January 2010 - 11:01 AM

Hi, my availability is very patchy lately due to having so much on, but I'll always reply when time allows.
If these are new PC's I would of expected vista as a minimum on them, unless they are just new to you perhaps, but either way there are certainly times when protection wont play nice with other programs\builds, but there are no hard set rules as such, best one can do is try things and see what works best for them.

Now McAfee is a bit like Norton, and also can cause problems when installed with the amount of stuff it leaves behind, so using the Removal Tool is the best way to remove this program, then you can add whatever protection you want on, Avast is my A\V of choice, but Avir is a great alternate choice, then as before with the firewalls, it's try it and see, hopefully ZA will play nice this time, and this will automatically disable the windows firewall during the install, so apart from systems with Windows Defender thats the only thing that needs attention, hope this gets you started on the new system.

Braindead