This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Reinstalled XP & can't connect to the internet

2 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

I reinstalled XP Home Edition on a Dell Dimension 4300 and installed all the available drivers for a Broadcom wireless and a CNET ethernet card as well as the relevant Dell drivers to try and get a connection and cannot do so. I've rebooted, uninstalled and reinstalled both friggin' cards and am now at my wits end. I have no clue what is going on. The PC recognizes the LAN connection through the ethernet card, but when I try either Mozilla or Explorer I get no page. I've gone round and round with this issue. Specs: Dell Dimension 4300 Windows XP, SP2 (first install I did after reinstall) Intel Pentium 4, 1.6GHZ CNET PCI PRO200WL Fast Ethernet Card Broadcom 802.11g/2.4GHZ wireless adapter One frazzled owner
Karkinos,

Do you show anything under other devices in device manager.

To get to device manager.
  • Click on start.
  • Click on run.
  • Type in devmgmt.msc
We need to get the current status of the network.

On the system that is having the issue do the following.
Step 1
Get IP status

  • Please open a new Notepad file by clicking on Start then All Programs after that Accessories then finaly Notepad.
  • Copy the text from the following Code Box, by highlighting all the text and right click, Select Copy. (or use the Ctrl+C keyboard shortcut)
@echo off

ipconfig /all >> ipstatus.txt
notepad ipstatus.txt
  • Paste it into Notepad. Right Click in the window and select Paste. (or use Ctrl+V)
  • Save the file to the Desktop, make sure Type is All Files, and Coding is ANSI, and name it ipconfig.bat
  • Double Click on the file created.
  • Notepad will open up with the results.
  • Please paste the results in your next reply.
I resolved the problem. I forgot that, like Linksys, my Broadcom card likes to have the drivers installed before the card is plugged into the motherboard. I removed all the drivers, pulled the card, installed the drivers, plugged in the card and viola! I have wireless connectivity. Thanks for you efforts!

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI