I used Corel Paint Shop Pro X for about a year with no problem. Then, all of a sudden, every time I tried to open it, a window popped up saying ti was installing ScanSoftOmniPageSE4. Once it was "done," it informed me that ScanSoft OPSE4 was on a disk and I had to insert the disk. [HUH????} I have no disk with this on it. To cancel this ScanSoft window I have to click on cancel 5 or 6 times, go through a couple of other windows popping up telling me it's loading, and cancel each one of those.
Is ScanSoft something I need? If so, why was I able to use Corel for almost a year without needing to install ScanSoft?
ScanSoft OPSE4 is an OCR utility (Optical Character Recognition) that some folks use when they scan a paper copy of a document.
ScanSoft "assists" (but invariably makes errors) with converting the paper copy to an editable file form that will allow you to use your word processing application to make changes to the document.
You can "turn it off" or "disable" it from starting.
Start - Run - (type)MSCONFIG - Enter
Select the Startups(tab)
Remove the checkmark/tick from in front of ScanSoft items
Press - Apply - Press OK - Press Close
Reply "Yes" that you want your machine to reboot at this time.
The machine will reboot.
You will get a one-time nag screen that "changes have been made in System Configuration"
But we know that, because that's what we just did.
Put a checkmark/tick into "don't show this warning to me again"
Your machine should henceforth start without popping the warning screen about ScanSoft OPSE4
Let us know how this works for you.
Best Regards
Thanks for the advice. I'm going to try it right now. I will let you know how it works.
UncleRafter
ScanSoft OPSE4 is an OCR utility (Optical Character Recognition) that some folks use when they scan a paper copy of a document.
ScanSoft "assists" (but invariably makes errors) with converting the paper copy to an editable file form that will allow you to use your word processing application to make changes to the document.
You can "turn it off" or "disable" it from starting.
Start - Run - (type)MSCONFIG - Enter
Select the Startups(tab)
Remove the checkmark/tick from in front of ScanSoft items
Press - Apply - Press OK - Press Close
Reply "Yes" that you want your machine to reboot at this time.
The machine will reboot.
You will get a one-time nag screen that "changes have been made in System Configuration"
But we know that, because that's what we just did.
Put a checkmark/tick into "don't show this warning to me again"
Your machine should henceforth start without popping the warning screen about ScanSoft OPSE4
I have done what you suggested: Below , or attached is a screen shot of the screen you advised me to get to. I can find no ScanSoft items there to uncheck…
Download and install, agreeing to the licensing terms and allow to install with all of the default settings as preselected in the installation wizard.
When you finally allow CodeStuff-Starters to run
It will preselect StartUps Tab -
Click on File
Select - save as .HTML (name the report file - Startups Nov22.html)
In your next reply, post the file as an attached file (use browse and upload buttons – at the bottom-right corner of your topic posting window where you are typing your next reply)
Please do not make any changes with Code-Stuff Starters, until after you post the requested information above and receive recommendations from a helper here.
Best Regards
✨ Ask AI
AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date
Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI