Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 93084 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

Wireless Connection is lost when i plug into the local area connection

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 TommyJW

TommyJW

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 05 November 2009 - 04:34 PM

What I want to do is have the wireless setup to allow me to connect to the internet via my internet provider (obtain IP address automatically) and the local area connection to be setup with a static IP address to connect to hardware on it's own network (this would be a industrial controls network) but as soon as i plug something into the local area connection, the wireless is dropped. How do i prevent this? Tom

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#2 appleoddity

appleoddity

SuperMember

• Tech Team
  • 3,071 posts
  • Interests:Eating, Movies, Family, Church, Music, Volleyball, Softball, Poker, Computers, Electronics, Reading.

Posted 06 November 2009 - 04:41 PM

When you say the wireless is dropped, what do you mean? Do you mean that your internet access is no longer available? Do you mean that the physical connection actually changes from "connected," to "disconnected," etc? Please explain. I've done this before and I can tell you that Windows XP doesn't disconnect another network when you plug in to a second one. So, I would have to say this. I think you are most likely using a laptop, and that laptop most likely has a third party wireless management utility installed on it that came from the manufacturer. That utility is the culprit and should be uninstalled. After uninstalling it, Windows will do a fine job of managing your wireless connections and you will no longer have the issue you are talking about.

The help you have been given is free. If you have been happy with our help please consider donating to support this forum.

If you would like to say thanks for the help I have given you please View My Profile and Leave a Comment.
Your encouragement is welcome.

#3 Doug

Doug

Retired Administrator -Tech Team

• Tech Team
  • 10,057 posts

Posted 07 November 2009 - 10:04 AM

Your question intrigued me even though I do not operate a network with with diverse interconnected networks.
I can't attest to the accuracy of the information linked below, but it does appear to address the type of situation that you are attempting.
http://news.softpedi...ime-47494.shtml
The help you receive here is free.
If you wish, you may Donate to help keep us online.

#4 appleoddity

appleoddity

SuperMember

• Tech Team
  • 3,071 posts
  • Interests:Eating, Movies, Family, Church, Music, Volleyball, Softball, Poker, Computers, Electronics, Reading.

Posted 07 November 2009 - 10:14 AM

Actually Doug, the link you provided, although very interesting, pertains to adding multiple IP addresses to a single network interface. Whereas the OP actually has two different network interfaces. One wireless, and one wired. What he is doing is nothing special other than that he is "plugging" both in at the same time. Hope that clears it up a bit. ;)

The help you have been given is free. If you have been happy with our help please consider donating to support this forum.

If you would like to say thanks for the help I have given you please View My Profile and Leave a Comment.
Your encouragement is welcome.