Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 93084 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

wireless internet problems HELP PLEASE ?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 shona90

shona90

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 10 July 2009 - 03:49 PM

I have an advent 7211 laptop with orange broadband wireless. My laptop will connect to the internet through my ethernet cable but as soon as i take that out the internet dissconnects and says i have to plug in the local area connection. what is the local area connection ? my internet wont connect unless i plug in my ethernet cable. i know its not my router as it also doesnt work in my fiances house my dad house or my brothers house . Can anyone help me on how to fix this problem please . I will be grateful for any help . shona x i have an wireless g router and my wireless internet worked one night then the next morning my prblem occurerd i dont need a mobile dongle ( flash drive) i have tried to reset my router turn my laptop off and on i have also tried to switch my wireless button on and off and i have dissconnecting and connecting to the router .

Edited by shona90, 11 July 2009 - 04:38 PM.

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#2 appleoddity

appleoddity

SuperMember

• Tech Team
  • 3,071 posts
  • Interests:Eating, Movies, Family, Church, Music, Volleyball, Softball, Poker, Computers, Electronics, Reading.

Posted 10 July 2009 - 10:24 PM

Hi Shona90.. Welcome to WhatTheTech...

The Local Area Connection is what your "hard wired" connection is referred to as. When you unplug your cable, you have disconnected your "Local Area Connection" and you will always get the message that it is unplugged. This message is completely unrelated to your "Wireless Connection" because they are two different methods of connecting to the internet.

On most laptops the wireless can be turned on and off either by a hotkey or a switch on the laptop. THe fact that you are saying "orange" tells me that you must see an orange light indicator for your wireless? This usually signals that the wireless is turned off. If it turns blue, it is usually ON. In order to turn the wireless ON, you need to move the switch on the side of your laptop to the ON position, or press the special hotkey on your keyboard. The hotkey usually consists of the FN (function) key + another key. The other key should be identified by a picture of something that represents a wireless signal, like an antennae tower. Some laptops it is FN + F2, etc. Your laptop's user manual should be of better assistance in helping you find out how to do this.

Apart from that, if the wireless adapter is enabled and turned ON then all you have to do is identify your wireless network and connect to it. Here's some information how to do that: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/928429

Hope this gets you on your way.

The help you have been given is free. If you have been happy with our help please consider donating to support this forum.

If you would like to say thanks for the help I have given you please View My Profile and Leave a Comment.
Your encouragement is welcome.

#3 Mr Darn

Mr Darn

• Authentic Member
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 11 July 2009 - 04:20 AM

Hi AO, just thought i'd chip in here, since i'm from the general area of the OP. Here in the UK, whe have a number of Mobile (cell phone) company's such as T-mobile, Orange, Vodafone etc. Some of these have branched out into the mobile Broadband area by way of a 'Mobile Dongle' which is basically a flash drive with a cell phone sim card in it, so it connects using the cell phones signal. Orange have also branched out into the Landline Connection, providing DSL broadband packages connecting through a normal landline telephone. You'll probably find this is what OP is refering too when they mention 'orange broadband'. Hope i helped! MrD out...

#4 appleoddity

appleoddity

SuperMember

• Tech Team
  • 3,071 posts
  • Interests:Eating, Movies, Family, Church, Music, Volleyball, Softball, Poker, Computers, Electronics, Reading.

Posted 11 July 2009 - 08:23 AM

Yes... You are the second person to bring this to my attention. :)

So, I guess one question that needs to be posed to the original poster is exactly HOW are you trying to connect to the internet.

There are three ways you could be connecting:
  • Via hard wire to your router as you mentioned in your post (Local Area Connection)
  • Via Wireless-G which is probably built into the laptop but requires that you have a wireless-G router.
  • Via mobile broadband using a cell card that connects you to a cellular provider.
The way you describe your problem you sound as if you are trying to connect at multiple locations and it is not working. This sounds as if you are trying to use the laptop's built in wireless-G card to connect to your own, and your friend's/family's wireless networks?

Maybe you are saying that you can not get connected via the cellular card that you have plugged in?

I'm not sure now because your message is not clear. I answered the question why you get the message about the disconnected "Local Area Connection." Certainly you understand that when you unplug this cable internet is not going to work until you connect to the internet by one of the other three listed methods I provided. So, please specify which method you are trying to connect to, and how you attempted to do so?

Again, thanks to those of you who pointed out that Orange is a mobile broadband provider.

Edited by appleoddity, 11 July 2009 - 08:23 AM.

The help you have been given is free. If you have been happy with our help please consider donating to support this forum.

If you would like to say thanks for the help I have given you please View My Profile and Leave a Comment.
Your encouragement is welcome.