I am currently being helped in the infections forums, and until I do not get the all clean, then I will start to save my files and software that I want to keep and then I will do a clean install… As the topic states I will be upgrading from Vista 32bit to Win7 64bit so I will need to know what I have to do in a step by step process… Also, Is it really necessary to have to reinstall 3rd party software? Is there a way to avoid this?
Thank You All in Advance that can help….
Can you advise if you are doing a clean install. If so go ahead and back up your important docs, pics, music etc. Use an online scanner such as Kaspersky to verify they are clean, then do the install.
If you plan on upgrading then we will need to continue in the malware thread.
You are unable to upgrade ANY windows operating system from 32-bit to 64-bit. The OP must do a fresh install, and yes, all software will need to be reinstalled.
Thank you again Cat for your assistance.. Now that all is clear I will back up my files and pics..etc… appleoddity, I built my own pc and installed os fresh, but never backed up files and reinstalled them before.. Also, I would need to know how I can retrieve if possible some of the keys and activation codes to some of my programs so when I reinstall them…. Thank you
Belarc Advisor may be able to assist you in recovering product keys for installed software. Other programs might show you their installation serial # if you click on the help -> about menu. Lastly, for others, you will just have to find that information again or contact the company. Not many companies will put up a stink to re-activate a product, or recover a serial number, if you are the rightful owner.
As far as backing up data, only documents, pictures, music and other "data" are able to be backed up. You can't back up programs. They need to be reinstalled from scratch. You can back up to any suitable media manually or by using programs like Acronis True Image if you want a more robust and reliable backup system. A program like Acronis is highly recommended after you get your system restored to like new condition in the event of another major virus infection.