This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

How to uninstall vista premium to vista ultimate?

2 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Hello, I've been seriously considering completely removing Windows Vista Premium (32-bit) to Windows Vista Ultimate (32-bit). First, how hard is this to do? Should I do this? :unsure: I feel that Vista Premium is very unstable. I've had to do a system recovery (not restore) 3 times within 6 months. 1 recovery is 1 too many. This version came with the computer and it's not even a year old. Do I need to partition and try it? I found some easy instructions, but I'm leary about doing it so easily lol……nothing is easy when switching an OS. One last thing, I created an extra partition for my programs so they don't get lost, but I can't move them over there for some reason. I used the Vista default Disk Management to create a partition and I hope that's correct also. Any information would be greatly appreciated…..I'm stressed to the max here. :pullhair: Thank you, Sinnimon :wall:
Some things to consider:

1. Ultimate will not be any more stable than Premium, same code base, same fix base
2. Make sure you have all the necessary device drivers on a CD or backup device, you will need to reinstall some/all of them
3. Make sure you have the original install source for your programs, you will need to reinstall most of them

I would recommend looking at installing Windows 7 RC1 as a dual boot with the existing Vista Premium and see how it runs. It's good for a year and there is rumor of a free or very cheap upgrade from Vista to Windows 7 after it releases October 22nd. It seems much more stable to me. If you like, upgrade to the released version when you can then nuke the Vista install, or do a clean install at that time, making sure you follow #2 and #3 above.

It's a 2.4GB download so it takes awhile but it might be your best bet for now.

It's running it well on a 2.2Ghz 754MB system and a 1.8Ghz 2GB system, both 7 or more years old.
OK, I see where you are coming from. I've been wanting Windows 7 anyway, but not as my primary OS. How can I get enough space on my partition to install Windows 7 plus hold some of my very important stuff? I mean, how do I create a dual boot? That has never made sense to me because I've never done it before. Thanks! :woot: Sinnimon Oh yea - THANK YOU!!!! :D

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI