This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

After upgrading to Windows 7, can I use my Vista upgrade anymore?

1 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Here's the deal: I wanted to upgrade my desktop from XP to Windows 7, but I heard you have to upgrade from Vista to get to 7. So I went to my school and got Vista Business and Win 7 Ultimate and then upgraded one at a time. Here's my question: Now that my desktop is using Win 7 and not Vista anymore, can I use that Vista upgrade to upgrade my laptop from XP to Vista? Or since it's already been used, it can never be used again? thanks for any assistance
You could have upgraded directly from XP to Windows 7, but it would have needed a "clean install". That means you would have had to format your hard disk and installed Windows 7. From what I know about the Windows 7 Upgrades, your old license would have become obsolete. I suspect you did an in-place upgrade, but if you did a "clean install" you would have been asked to insert the installation disc of your existing OS, which would have been the XP disc. The license key attached to the existing OS would have been invalidated at that point. I suspect that what you've done is invalidate both your XP and Vista license keys, meaning that you can't use either of them legally again. So if you want Vista (or windows 7 for that matter) on your laptop, I'm afraid you'll need to get yourself another upgrade license key.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI