This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Formatting the comp

2 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Hi and thanks in advance for the help,

Here's my problem:
I've already asked for help in this site for a virus infection( this is the link to my previous post) which, as one of your kind experts told me, can't be eradicated unless I format my computer :(

The problem is that I've never done a reformatting operation before and when I've purchased my comp I didn't get a "recovery cd" with it .

Now I'm asking:

–Can I create a clean recovery cd from the "infected" computer ( without the risk of crating an "infected " recovery cd)? If so, how can I do?

–Since I have to re-format, could you please guide me through the process since I've never done it before?.

I will be waiting you response,

Thank again
Hi Ballantines, welcome to the bright side of WTT :thumbup: (Malware is the dark side). What is the make and model number of your computer? If it's a new system then it's quite likelt there is a hidden partition on your hard drive that you can access at boot time by pressing F11 or Ctrl+F11. If so then you can restore the computer to it's factory installed state, wiping out any and all viruses and, unfortunately, all you data as well. With the state of your system (infections I mean) there really is no alternative. Once I have the make and model I can lookup the users guide and hopefully find the exact steps you need to follow.
Hi Ztruker and thanks for taking up my case , :) Sorry for the delayed answer, I haven't been able to switch on my comp due to work and stuff. My computer is a Packard Bell, Pentium® 4 CPU 2.93 GHz, 1,00 Gb Ram. Sorry but I'm really ignorant with computers, where can I find the exact make and model of the computer? :scratch:
It's usually on the front cover somewhere. If not, on a tag on the back.

You could also download and run Gabriel Topola's System Information for Windows.
Click on Download then select the SIW Standalone (English-Only) version to download.

No install needed, just run siw.exe. Once it's finished starting up, scroll down to the Hardware section and click on System Summary.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI