This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

formatting my pc

2 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Hi, I have a Dell desktop PC which I would like to 'clean up' as I am selling it. I don't have a recovery disc but I do have Windows XP OS plus service pack 2 discs. I would like to return it to it's original configuration (minus Dell intrusion if poss). I bought this PC new for my stepson who downloaded all sorts of cr*p in Hungarian ( his native language) and I can't get rid of it. His mum isn't IT friendly so can't help. What is the easiest way to achive this. Thanks in advance.

I don't have a recovery disc but I do have Windows XP OS plus service pack 2 discs.

Understand that if you install Windows using that XP disk, the disk goes with the computer. You cannot keep the disks!

Your other option is to scrub the disk clean with a program such as Eraser. This will ensure no sensitive data, or copys of copyrighted are not illegally distributed.
Hi thanks for responding, I am running vista on my new laptop so I am happy to give the xp discs with the PC. I am running autostreamer to create 1 disc from 2 and then I will try format and reinstall. I know this is a last resort option but the language problem prevents me from fixing some things and I have already transferred all my personal files and settings to my new laptop. The only sensitive data I would be concerned about are login details.
What is the make/model of the Dell computer. Many of the newer ones (4 or 5 years old or newer) have a recovery partition on the hard drive that you can access by pressing a Fn key during boot.
Hi, I have a dimension 1100. I have checked the dell website and it does appear that I might have this facility. I haven't messed around with the partitions so I will give this a try first. Thanks for the info, it's CTRL+F11 by the way Edit: WOW! it worked a treat. I now have PC back in factory condition (all in English as well). Only 2 hours and I've done all but a couple of downloads, I even got Norton 3 month free trial started again. Thanks for your help ztruker.
You're welcome., glad it worked. There is probably a way to create recovery CDs in case the hard drive fails. You should mention this to whoever buys the computer.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI