This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Vga-compatible video card driver

2 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Right. My motherboard and some memory got busted, so I took the pc to some chap who fixed it over night. Everything is honkey-doory except that he had to put an older motherboard in (to save me a LOT of cash), which meant another older video card as well. Now my pc wants me to install a vga-compatible video card driver, but with an internet search (install driver automatically) the pc finds nothing. What am I to do? Thanks.
Vista is a funny beast with old(er) hardware, and some hardware just simply will not work with it, all you can do here is go to the makers site of the video card, and see what drivers they have, if you can give us the make\model of your card and we can look to see what drivers are about for you, but if vista can't find a driver I fear there may be none about..
I think Tanglang1989 is referring to use in XP.
Correct me if I'm wrong.

You should be able to download a vga compliant driver from the MotherBoard manufacturer site.

Once you have installed that driver, you should next be able to search for a specific driver for your new (older) video card at the video card manufacturer's site.

Best Regards

P.S. Seems to me that's the kind of thing that the tech should have done for you when selling you a new (older) motherboard and video card.

Vista is a funny beast with old(er) hardware, and some hardware just simply will not work with it, all you can do here is go to the makers site of the video card, and see what drivers they have, if you can give us the make\model of your card and we can look to see what drivers are about for you, but if vista can't find a driver I fear there may be none about..



Woops, forgot to say that it is an XP computer.


Oh, and as for the second comment; yes, I suppose he should have. I have to ask him what motherboard it is so I can download it.

Thanks

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI