It is a desktop computer that is running windows 7. This board supports on board video and also has 2 PCI slots and 1 agp slot. This card is an PCI video card so it should be compatible with the board.
When i plug it in, how ever i do not receive any video output signal to the monitor. I know its not a defected card because i took the first one back and bought a new one and yet again the 2nd one is not working. I made sure to dl the upgraded SIC motherboard drivers and also the video card drivers. Is there any other ways to test to see if this card is compatible with this computer. I was thinking bout running PC pitstop, the free scan that tests all your hardware but i forgot the direct link to it.
Anyways if you can give some suggestions on what might be causing this conflicting issues or give me some tests to run, that would be helpful. So i can get to the bottom of this. I already contacted the manufacturer and they told me that the card should be compatible to the motherboard that i have.
I can how ever plug in the AGP card that i have into the agp slot and it receives a video signal just fine. But some how the PCI slots are not receiving any output video signal.
Reboot your machine.
During the POST sequence you will see a suggestion to press (F2 or F10, Esc or other) to enter Setup.
In Setup, have a look around for what graphics solution has been selected.
It's Probably onboard at this time.
Thus connecting your vga or DVI connector to the PCI card (8400) does not make an active connection because it is not selected.
If you were presently to connect to the onboard connector the monitor would probably be responsive without any changes in BIOS setup.
Primary Pcie/ide bus master - Enabled
allocate/irq2pcievga - Yes
I dont see anything that says "graphic solutions" at all.
These are the two settings that i see that has anything to do with video card adapters.
I tried googling this issue but its difficult because its an old board. It appears some of the people are having similar problems but haven't found any real solutions to fixing it.
Hi, this thread is really perplexing…..
My data sheets indicate that your "old"motherboard is about 6 or 7 years old….. if that is the case then its no wonder that you are having trouble with Win 7 and an Nvidia GS 8400
the mobo does support PCI as Doug correctly mentions and AGP……. BUT and its a big but…. are you sure that you have a PCI interface on your GS8400?
All the GS 8400 's that I have come across have PCI X 16…… Maybe I just haven't come across a PCI one before… NOTE PCI and PCI X16 are very different and need different types of slots in the mobo.
Regards
paws
Yeah im aware of that, but yes the video card clearly says PCI on it.
I have tried looking for a jumper switch on the motherboard to see if i can change the on board video, but there doesn't seem to be one. I think the motherboard by default is recognizing an on board video signal and the PCI connection through DVI or vga is not receiving a video output signal to the motherboard. I have tried to do hard reset also and restore the CMOS settings to default, then i tried to locate a way to turn off the onboard video but i couldn't find anything accept the two settings i mentioned above.
The computer is also recognizing the video card. When i go to the device manager, at first it shown the video controller adapter in there with a yellow exclamation mark. But then i updated the graphics driver so now that yellow exclamation mark dissapeared and it clears says that the computer is recognizing the card inside the slot. So i know the slot isn't bad. I am just not receiving a video output signal from the this card. I have tried using both VGA and dvi connectors.
PCI X 16 are PCIe's though right? You should be able to see if its a PCIE, cause it will state that, but this says PCI. Also this mobo does not have any PCI x 16 slots, if it did, then the card wouldn't even fit. But thats not the case, the cards seats perfectly.
Yeah im aware of that, but yes the video card clearly says PCI on it.
I think the motherboard by default is recognizing an on board video signal and the PCI connection through DVI or vga is not receiving a video output signal to the motherboard. I have tried to do hard reset also and restore the CMOS settings to default, then i tried to locate a way to turn off the onboard video but i couldn't find anything accept the two settings i mentioned above.
The computer is also recognizing the video card. When i go to the device manager, at first it shown the video controller adapter in there with a yellow exclamation mark. But then i updated the graphics driver so now that yellow exclamation mark dissapeared and it clears says that the computer is recognizing the card inside the slot. So i know the slot isn't bad. I am just not receiving a video output signal from the this card. I have tried using both VGA and dvi connectors.
Hummm If you are really sure that card is PCI, then it should work, but I ran into this this a few times:
1. It could be a driver related issue, make sure that card is supported by Win 7, some card may not be
2. Look over you cmos setting again, they should be a setting some where to either set your primary adapter to auto, or a way to disable the on board adapter, most times if the board has an auto feature it will default to the onboard card. If this will be the case then it should be in their somewhere to shut this down and select the primary PCI card.
3. Does that video card required power, if so is it hooked up? I have a card that required a power connection to be working.
Last but not least that card may not like the motherboard, one way to find out is see if you can get an older type of pci video card and try it out to see what happens, this way you know if the mb is ok and may be that video card could be bad or may not like the mb.
Thats about the best I can come up with because this is what I would do in my shop.
I went to the nvidia website. Downloaded the windows 7 driver. Put the model number into the card and everything. On the Nvidia website, it says it located a driver for that card. So updated it. Still doesn't work. How ever i did find out that this card works on windows Xp but not windows 7. So i think that really is a driver related issue. I called the manufacturer of the card and they are at a loss of what to do, they told me that it does support windows 7 drivers. they said to remove the ram and plug it in again. Why the hell would that have anything to do with it?
In any case i just can't seem to get this card to work with windows 7 at all. There is NO setting to disable onboard video on this motherboard, i thoroughly checked every where. The setting just doesn't exist.
It is strange i built and upgraded alot of computers and i never ran into an issue like this before. I tried running windows 7 advisory and it doesn't say he can't give any specific details on the card being used so i dont know if that has anything to do with it. But its obvious its a conflicting issue with the card running on windows 7.
I went to the nvidia website. Downloaded the windows 7 driver. Put the model number into the card and everything. On the Nvidia website, it says it located a driver for that card. So updated it. Still doesn't work. How ever i did find out that this card works on windows Xp but not windows 7. So i think that really is a driver related issue. I called the manufacturer of the card and they are at a loss of what to do, they told me that it does support windows 7 drivers. they said to remove the ram and plug it in again. Why the hell would that have anything to do with it?
In any case i just can't seem to get this card to work with windows 7 at all. There is NO setting to disable onboard video on this motherboard, i thoroughly checked every where. The setting just doesn't exist.
It is strange i built and upgraded alot of computers and i never ran into an issue like this before. I tried running windows 7 advisory and it doesn't say he can't give any specific details on the card being used so i dont know if that has anything to do with it. But its obvious its a conflicting issue with the card running on windows 7.
1. How ever i did find out that this card works on windows Xp but not windows 7. So i think that really is a driver related issue. I called the manufacturer of the card and they are at a loss of what to do, they told me that it does support windows 7 drivers. - - - ( As I said I ran into this a lot with Radeon ATI video cards that were XP Supported but would not work in Vista OS, even after I used current drivers, this is why when I buy new Video card I make sure it is supported by the OS, in some cases not all but the chip sets on the video card itself may not support Win7.)
2. In any case i just can't seem to get this card to work with windows 7 at all. There is NO setting to disable onboard video on this motherboard, i thoroughly checked every where. The setting just doesn't exist. – – – ((It has to be somewhere all or newer type motherboards have them, most are set to used the primary adapter by an auto setting, you might want to call the motherboard MFG to get them to show you where or if that model board can be turned off or set to use a pci video card.))
3. they said to remove the ram and plug it in again. Why the hell would that have anything to do with it? - -(( I think they are at a loss and taking a wild shot in the dark to your problem.))
My Question? Were you able to find another PCI video card to test and see if you get a video output or not? By doing so this will tell you if the problem is the MB or the Video Card.
Jimbo1
✨ Ask AI
AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date
Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI