I bought a computer approximately 5 years ago, and haven't touched it since. Recently, I thought about upgrading my graphics card. My current graphics card is a RADEON 9250 card which fits in a PCI slot. The graphics card I was looking at getting (and most graphics cards) fit only in a PCI-e slot. Being a bit of a dunce when it comes to computer hardware, I'm uncertain where to go from here. I assume I need a new motherboard (with a PCI-e slot for the card), and possibly a new power supply. Is it worth trying to build from what I have, or should I just start over?
The reason why I need a graphics card upgrade also includes that my old graphics card has broken, and the connection with my monitor is failing, which stops my computer from being able to boot up, therefore I can't get to the system information on that computer.
If someone explains to me how to detail my system parts from only the hardware, I can list what parts my computer has currently.
Unfortunately if you feel you need to buy a new motherboard, you'll be looking at a new CPU (especially if you're going with Intel) and almost definitely new RAM.
You might be able to reuse the CD/DVD drive, the computer case and the HDD, but if either the CD/DVD drive or the HDD use the old IDE connectors, you'll have to replace them too.
If you're on a tight budget, then it may be worth just getting another Radeon 9250. Some online retailers still stock them, and they aren't too expensive.
Ultimately it's up to you whether you upgrade, rebuild or buy pre-built. People often opt to buy a pre-built computer and then upgrade specific parts themselves. This is usually a safe option if you've never built your own computer, but you still want to learn about all the different components and how they work together.
Whichever way you choose to go, this list will help you make sure you've got everything :
Basics: 1. Computer Case 2. Motherboard 3. CPU 4. RAM 5. Hard Drive 6. Graphics Card 7. PSU 8. Optical Drive - DVD/CD Drive 9. WiFi Card (optional) 10. Aftermarket CPU Cooler (optional 11. Operating System (Essential!)
Then you also need to consider : 1. Screen 2. Keyboard / Mouse 3. Speakers
Your using the same computer for 5 years . its outdated. So go for a new one the price of intel i3 and i5 is getting cheaper.
if you go for prebuild desktop you will get orginal operating system .
if you go for custom build you have to buy OS but your budget will increase.
there are many prebuild good desktop with good graphics cards so i think you can go for prebuild one.
while buying ask the vendor to backup your old harddisk to your new system.
✨ Ask AI
AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date
Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI