Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 93083 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

Internet Explorer

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Dancer96744

Dancer96744

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 21 September 2009 - 10:02 AM

My internet explorer on my start up bar all of a sudden says it's working with no add ons. I've clicked the bar it says to manage addons and it seems that everything is enabled except Norton anti virus but I have another virus program. The other virus program is not new so it didn't happen by putting this on. There also a lot of sites I go to that seem to be having a problem with ActiveX (they keep telling me to install it to view the page). I maybe missing a file that allows it to work I'm just not sure and don't know where that file went. Restoring my computer isn't working either. I had Activex but I don't know what happened to it. According to my add ons I have Shockwave flash object but I don't see ActiveX. I've tried to upload ActiveX but it doesn't seem to be uploading. I think I read somewhere that there is some kind of problem with Internet explorer 8 and the ActiveX program but don't remember what it said and where I found it. Also my computer is sooooooooo slow and it gets stuck all the time. I have to turn it off sometimes I can't even get the stuff off the screen to turn it off the right way and have to just press the off button. I hope this makes sense to someone because although I've fixed my computer so I can use it (for awhile it wouldn't even let me onto the internet) this is really bothersome. Thanks to anyone that can help :pullhair:

Attached Files

Edited by appleoddity, 27 September 2009 - 05:32 PM.

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#2 appleoddity

appleoddity

SuperMember

• Tech Team
  • 3,071 posts
  • Interests:Eating, Movies, Family, Church, Music, Volleyball, Softball, Poker, Computers, Electronics, Reading.

Posted 27 September 2009 - 05:34 PM

Instead of using the shortcut that you are currently clicking in order to open internet explorer please click start -> run -> type iexplore and press ENTER. Internet Explorer should open and you should not see the no-addons message.

If this is the case, please delete whatever shortcut you are using to open internet explorer which could possibly say Internet Explorer (No-Addons) and find a new link to use, such as start -> programs -> internet explorer.

Edited by appleoddity, 27 September 2009 - 05:35 PM.

The help you have been given is free. If you have been happy with our help please consider donating to support this forum.

If you would like to say thanks for the help I have given you please View My Profile and Leave a Comment.
Your encouragement is welcome.

#3 Dancer96744

Dancer96744

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 27 September 2009 - 11:54 PM

Hi, Thanks for trying to help me but my computer ended up crashing and would no longer detect my hard drive. I had wrote a pretty detailed description on here of what happened but when I loaded the spell check on here I lost my message. Since it was pretty detailed I'm not going to re-type it. I am going to say that after reading and doing things to my computer for hours and not getting my software to load because my hard drive couldn't be detected, I was able to fix the problem. Some computer fix forum (don't know which one it was, I was on my old desktop and just surfing for help) had a thread of people who had smacked their computers to try and fix them (some out of frustration). I figured it couldn't hurt and smacked my computer on it's butt three solid times. I turned it back on and I got a new screen (finally, after getting that irritating blinking cursor for hours) that said hard disk formatting and it allowed me to do a system recovery. Of course I lost my files but I thought my drive was gone, also. Although losing all my files sucked I was thrilled that my computer was working again. I think the thought behind smacking the computer is to re-seat the hard drive w/o removing it. Whatever it worked for me and numerous other people. I hope this helps someone else since you tried to help me. :woot: :thumbup:

Edited by Dancer96744, 28 September 2009 - 12:00 AM.

#4 Ztruker

Ztruker

WTT Technical Elder

• Tech Team
  • 8,292 posts
  • Interests:Helping people fix MS Windows related computer problems of all kinds.

Waking each morning to see the green side of the Earth!

Posted 28 September 2009 - 11:15 AM

I suspect we'll be seeing you again real soon with hard drive problems. :pullhair: It would be a very good idea for you to download and run the drive utility from the manufacturers web site, see if it finds any problems with the drive.

Rich

Die with memories, not dreams. – Unknown

#5 appleoddity

appleoddity

SuperMember

• Tech Team
  • 3,071 posts
  • Interests:Eating, Movies, Family, Church, Music, Volleyball, Softball, Poker, Computers, Electronics, Reading.

Posted 28 September 2009 - 11:39 AM

What? You haven't ever heard of dropping a hard drive to un-seize the heads from the platter? :lol:

The help you have been given is free. If you have been happy with our help please consider donating to support this forum.

If you would like to say thanks for the help I have given you please View My Profile and Leave a Comment.

#6 appleoddity

appleoddity

SuperMember

• Tech Team
  • 3,071 posts

Posted 28 September 2009 - 11:42 AM

BTW, just so this thread doesn't get out of control. It is NEVER recommended to smack a computer to make it work. It will damage the hard drive. We simply can't let an idea like that continue to grow fruit around here at WhatTheTech.

#7 Dancer96744

Dancer96744

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 28 September 2009 - 12:14 PM

What? You haven't ever heard of dropping a hard drive to un-seize the heads from the platter? :lol:

What does that mean. I'm not that coputer knowledgeable.

#8 Ztruker

Ztruker

WTT Technical Elder

• Tech Team
  • 8,292 posts
  • Interests:Helping people fix MS Windows related computer problems of all kinds.

Posted 28 September 2009 - 07:53 PM

It was called "Sticktion" and was a problem with earlier hard drives. When you turned them off, they moved to a "Parkling Area" then dropped down and made contact with that unused are of the drive surface. If left for very long, sometimes even over night, the head would stick to the drive surface. Sometimes a gentle tap would free the head, usually it didn't or just made matters worse. Appleoddity is correct though, never, ever whack a computer. You are more likely to to cause damage than repair anything. You were lucky, but I would suggest opening up the computer (power it off first and unplug it) then check all the cables, connectors and plug-in cards to see if any are loose.

Edited by Ztruker, 28 September 2009 - 07:54 PM.

Rich

#9 Dancer96744

Dancer96744

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 28 September 2009 - 08:00 PM

Hi, Thanks, I've checked everything that I know to but I don't know if I've checked everything that I should. So far it's running just fine but i'm still worried that something might still be wrong. I was wondering about my back up disks. I had made some about 3 or 4 months ago but since my computer is back to it's original state should I attempt to recover anything or just leave well enough alone. Appreciate the help.

#10 Ztruker

Ztruker

WTT Technical Elder

• Tech Team
  • 8,292 posts

Posted 28 September 2009 - 08:07 PM

That's your call. Is there anything on the backups that you need or want? If so, restore it. If you have problems, you can always reinstall one more time.

Rich