This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Spyware / Malware / Virus Removal

ActiveX Virus

4 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

I was trying to watch a video online and it told me to download the new version of ActiveX. I did so, but then after a couple screens that kept asking me to run programs or error warnings keep popping up, I realized something was wrong and immediately disconnected from the internet. Something was still running on my computer. I tried to go the task manager to end everything but a message popped up saying that I no longer had admin rights. ( I am the only user on the computer) When I went to the desk top, all of my Microsoft Office 2007 programs were gone, including some games and one media program that were on the desk top. There were also links to porno sites as well as extra "virus protection" programs that I had never seen before. Security Center 2009 opened up. It looked like the normal Microsoft virus protection that comes with PC's but something looked off. I tired to follow the instructions any way but it kept going in circles. Scanning the computer, then telling me that there was a virus or a trojan. The first time it came up, it asked if I wanted to remove the program I said yes and the computer locked up. I manually turned it off and restarted, never reconnecting to the internet. When it came back on, the bottom right where the time is had the time in military time with the words "Virus Alert!" to the right of it. I also realized that I can no longer access the C drive, the D drive, or the control panel. As soon as the computer turns on, the Security center loads with all of the error messages. It scans the computer and tells me that I have 233 infected files. Error messages keep popping up but I found that as long as I continue to say No or Cancel, I can open up My Documents and other Windows games. I found a folder under Shared Documents that looked suspicious so I tried to delete it but it will allow me to delete everything inside it except the folder itself. When I try to delete the program it tells me that something on the computer is using it. Also, I attempted to delete the porn both from my desktop and the recycle bin but they keep comming back after a few minutes. I was able to move some of my important files to a flash drive after constantly clicking cancel to every error messages that loads. For virus protection I use McAfee. It's free with Comcast and I thought it would be enough. I can open it, but as soon as I start to scan, it locks up. Sorry if this is too much detail, but I have no idea what I am doing. Please help!!
[external image: Posted Image]


Stay with this topic until I give you the all clean post.

You might want to print these instructions out.

I suggest you do this:

Double-click My Computer.
Click the Tools menu, and then click Folder Options.
Click the View tab.
Clear "Hide file extensions for known file types."
Under the "Hidden files" folder, select "Show hidden files and folders."
Clear "Hide protected operating system files."
Click Apply, and then click OK.


Please do not delete anything unless instructed to.


Please download ATF Cleaner by Atribune.
Download - ATF Cleaner»
Double-click ATF-Cleaner.exe to run the program.
Under Main choose: Select All
Click the Empty Selected button.

(If you use FireFox or the Opera browser
To keep saved passwords, click No at the prompt.)

It's normal after running ATF cleaner that the PC will be slower to boot the first time or two.

Next:

Please download Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware to your desktop.

  • Double-click mbam-setup.exe and follow the prompts to install the program.
  • At the end, be sure a checkmark is placed next to Update Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware and Launch Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, then click Finish.
  • If an update is found, it will download and install the latest version.
  • Once the program has loaded, select Perform quick scan, then click Scan.
  • When the scan is complete, click OK, then Show Results to view the results.
  • Be sure that everything is checked, and click Remove Selected .
  • When completed, a log will open in Notepad. Please save it to a convenient location and post the results.
  • Note: If you receive a notice that some of the items couldn't be removed, that they have been added to the delete on reboot list, please reboot.
Also "copy/paste" a new HijackThis log file into this thread.

Also please describe how your computer behaves at the moment.
Thank you for your help. Because of my schedule this week, I ended up giving the computer to a friend who knows much more than me about computers. He was able to get it to a point where we could back up the files and then just reformated it. Everything seems to be running smoothly. Again, thank you for help. I will look into some of the antimalware you were talking about.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI