Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 93081 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

Select internet browsers not working

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 ironwolfie34

ironwolfie34

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 19 September 2009 - 09:02 AM

Dear Tech, So i'm having a weird problem with not being able to connect to the internet on a couple of my browsers. I just got a new laptop a few weeks ago and this problem just happened to come up. Its not an issue of proxy as i have everything on default. even when i don't have any firewalls up it still dosen't let me connect. this happens with interent explorer and recently google chrome. its not a security issue i just cant connect. i tried to reinstall chrome and internet explorer to reset the settings but i get the same thing. It happened with firefox earlier and when i reinstalled it, it works. but that was when internet explorer was still not working but chrome worked. can some one help me please? Thanks, David

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#2 Ztruker

Ztruker

WTT Technical Elder

• Tech Team
  • 8,292 posts
  • Interests:Helping people fix MS Windows related computer problems of all kinds.

Waking each morning to see the green side of the Earth!

Posted 19 September 2009 - 06:27 PM

David, are you saying the internet works okay for some things but IE and Google Chrome won't connect?

Is FireFox working now?

Have you tried resetting IE to default state? http://support.microsoft.com/kb/923737

If that doesn't work, run ipconfig /all from a command prompt
  • Click on Start then Run
  • Type cmd and press Enter or click OK
  • Type ipconfig /all and press Enter
  • Right click on the command prompt window title bar, select Edit then Mark
  • Use the mouse to select all the output from the ipconfig command, them click the right mouse button. This will copy the data to the clipboard.
  • Start a reply here and paste the data you copied into it.

Rich

Die with memories, not dreams. – Unknown

#3 ironwolfie34

ironwolfie34

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 20 September 2009 - 10:28 AM

Hi Ztrucker,

Thanks for helping me and here it is. And btw my firefox is working. but chrome and internet explorer still arnt. also some download clients program clients for downloading software are unable to connect as well. but my google sidebar is able to as well as skype and spybot. My norton antivirus is not able to i think. it keeps telling me to reinstall it.

Thanks,
David

Windows IP Configuration Moved to Tech Team Forum (LDT)

#4 Ztruker

Ztruker

WTT Technical Elder

• Tech Team
  • 8,292 posts
  • Interests:Helping people fix MS Windows related computer problems of all kinds.

Posted 20 September 2009 - 06:18 PM

From the IP address, it looks like you have a Router. Try bypassing the router and connect directly to your cable or DSL modem, see that works.

Rich

#5 ironwolfie34

ironwolfie34

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 22 September 2009 - 08:07 AM

Hi Ztruker, By passing the router did not do the trick. I also tried a winsock and a tcp/ic reset but that did not work either. Thanks, David

#6 ironwolfie34

ironwolfie34

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 22 September 2009 - 08:10 AM

oh and btw when i tried resetting the tcp/ip by using netsh int ip reset it did not work Microsoft Windows [Version 6.0.6001] Copyright © 2006 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved. C:\Users\Dwong>netsh int ip reset Reseting Echo Request, failed. The requested operation requires elevation. Reseting Global, failed. The requested operation requires elevation. Reseting Interface, failed. The requested operation requires elevation. There's no user specified settings to be reset.

#7 ironwolfie34

ironwolfie34

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 22 September 2009 - 08:15 AM

whoops sorry disregard the last message i ran as administrator and it worked

#8 Ztruker

Ztruker

WTT Technical Elder

• Tech Team
  • 8,292 posts

Posted 22 September 2009 - 07:04 PM

Are you saying it works when you login with an Administrator account but not if you use a restricted account?

Edited by Ztruker, 22 September 2009 - 07:05 PM.

Rich

#9 ironwolfie34

ironwolfie34

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 22 September 2009 - 07:21 PM

sorry i just ment the command prompt internet still dosent work if i run as admin

#10 Ztruker

Ztruker

WTT Technical Elder

• Tech Team
  • 8,292 posts

Posted 22 September 2009 - 08:26 PM

I think you can save a lot of time and effort by backing up any data you want to save, then restoring the computer to it's factory installed state, either using a hidden partition on the hard drive or the recovery CD/DVD that came with the computer. What is the make and model number of the laptop? Many of them use Ctrl+F11 at boot time, as soon as you see the manufacturers logo, to start the recovery process. The Users Guide for your laptop should tell you how to do this. Provide the make and model number and I may be able to find the Users Guide on their web site.

Rich

#11 ironwolfie34

ironwolfie34

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 23 September 2009 - 03:52 PM

Hi Ztrucker, Thanks so much for your help. I think that that is what i am going to do. I have a HP HDX 16t. I looked on the forum for HP and a lot of people with my make and model are having the same problem and factory reinstall seems to help out. but thanks for your time. David