Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 93081 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

Wireless & Firefox Problems

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Chase

Chase

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 29 August 2007 - 04:18 PM

Hi,

Ever since I've installed Vista, I've been having numerous problems with my wireless internet connection, and connection in general.

Here are the problems; I only have two:

1) Every time I open Firefox, I have to re-configure my internet connection settings. I have to click "Tools" > "Options" > "Advanced" > "Network" > "Settings," then click "Auto-detect proxy settings for this network." You would think after doing this once, it would keep this option, but it does not. It has a certain proxy IP set into it, and it re-configures back to it every time, and I can not get internet without re-configuring it again. Can anyone help me get Firefox to permanently auto-detect my proxy settings?

2) As of now, I spend about half of my time trying to re-connect to my wireless internet connection. When I first boot up my computer, I usually have to do a number of things to get it working. First off, it automatically detects my network. It shows that it's connecting to my router, but the "Earth" icon does not light up, which signifies the router can't connect to the internet.

To fix this, I usually have to disconnect from my router, connect to another, re-connect to my router, then attempt to repair it. After I disconnect, re-connect, and repair, it usually works. Sometimes, while in the middle of browsing, I'll get a page that says the website cannot be found. I have to go through this process - again - even though it still shows that I'm connected to the internet.

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Chase

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#2 Blair

Blair

SuperMember

• Root Admin
  • 2,390 posts

Posted 29 August 2007 - 08:46 PM

Does it work okay with Internet Explorer?
Posted Image

#3 Doug

Doug

Retired Administrator -Tech Team

• Tech Team
  • 10,057 posts

Posted 29 August 2007 - 09:15 PM

Blair is getting at the question of: "Do you have a stable internet connection, and problems only with your Firefox browser". If not, you may be having difficulty with your Network Adapter Driver. <-- for which Vista is notorious. If the problem is "connection" and not just "one specific firefox browser", then give us details of your Network Interface Card (wireless NIC)

Edited by Doug, 29 August 2007 - 09:16 PM.

The help you receive here is free.
If you wish, you may Donate to help keep us online.

#4 Chase

Chase

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 30 August 2007 - 02:37 PM

Thanks for the replies.

These problems are not browser-related.

Can you please tell me how to give you the details of my wireless adapter?

Edited by Chase, 30 August 2007 - 02:50 PM.

#5 Blair

Blair

SuperMember

• Root Admin
  • 2,390 posts

Posted 30 August 2007 - 02:53 PM

Are you using WPA security?

Try this hotfix: http://support.micro...kb/935222/en-us

Vista has known problems with WPA security. The other solution is to buy a wireless router that supports WPA2. Hopefully this is fixed in SP1.
Posted Image

#6 Chase

Chase

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 30 August 2007 - 03:11 PM

Hi, I do use WPA security with my router. I don't see why I'd have to change out my router, though. I was able to connect to it before installing Vista, and still am able to connect to it. It just isn't a stable connection. The other computers on this network (with XP) do not have this problem... at all. Would you still suggest another router? If so, which one would you recommend?

#7 Blair

Blair

SuperMember

• Root Admin
  • 2,390 posts

Posted 30 August 2007 - 03:25 PM

Networking has been completely rewritten in Vista. It's either something with the Vista default driver, or WPA implementation, but it's a very common issue. Your router isn't to blame, but upgrading to a router that supports WPA2 resolves the issue. Did you submit a request for the hotfix? There's a very good chance that will resolve it.
Posted Image

#8 Chase

Chase

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 30 August 2007 - 03:51 PM

I will do that now. Thanks! Question: What's a "hotfix?" :blink:

#9 Blair

Blair

SuperMember

• Root Admin
  • 2,390 posts

Posted 30 August 2007 - 03:57 PM

Basically a manual Windows Update. It's a small file you'll download and install.
Posted Image