This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Wireless & Firefox Problems

2 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Hi,

Ever since I've installed Vista, I've been having numerous problems with my wireless internet connection, and connection in general.

Here are the problems; I only have two:

1) Every time I open Firefox, I have to re-configure my internet connection settings. I have to click "Tools" > "Options" > "Advanced" > "Network" > "Settings," then click "Auto-detect proxy settings for this network." You would think after doing this once, it would keep this option, but it does not. It has a certain proxy IP set into it, and it re-configures back to it every time, and I can not get internet without re-configuring it again. Can anyone help me get Firefox to permanently auto-detect my proxy settings?

2) As of now, I spend about half of my time trying to re-connect to my wireless internet connection. When I first boot up my computer, I usually have to do a number of things to get it working. First off, it automatically detects my network. It shows that it's connecting to my router, but the "Earth" icon does not light up, which signifies the router can't connect to the internet.

To fix this, I usually have to disconnect from my router, connect to another, re-connect to my router, then attempt to repair it. After I disconnect, re-connect, and repair, it usually works. Sometimes, while in the middle of browsing, I'll get a page that says the website cannot be found. I have to go through this process - again - even though it still shows that I'm connected to the internet.

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.


Thanks in advance!

Chase
Blair is getting at the question of: "Do you have a stable internet connection, and problems only with your Firefox browser". If not, you may be having difficulty with your Network Adapter Driver. <– for which Vista is notorious. If the problem is "connection" and not just "one specific firefox browser", then give us details of your Network Interface Card (wireless NIC)
Thanks for the replies.

These problems are not browser-related.

Can you please tell me how to give you the details of my wireless adapter?
Hi, I do use WPA security with my router. I don't see why I'd have to change out my router, though. I was able to connect to it before installing Vista, and still am able to connect to it. It just isn't a stable connection. The other computers on this network (with XP) do not have this problem… at all. Would you still suggest another router? If so, which one would you recommend?
Networking has been completely rewritten in Vista. It's either something with the Vista default driver, or WPA implementation, but it's a very common issue. Your router isn't to blame, but upgrading to a router that supports WPA2 resolves the issue. Did you submit a request for the hotfix? There's a very good chance that will resolve it.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI