This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Hardware

Headphones channel audio disabled

2 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

This is probably an easy one, but I couldn't find a specific answer on the net. Audio card: Creative Xi-Fi Gamer (about 2 years old) Headphones: Icemats (also about 2 years old) I'd been having issues periodically with the audio switching completely from ear to ear. My 5.1 speakers on the other hand seemed to be completely fine. Then today out of nowhere, I plug in my headphones, and for once my right ear channel is completely dead. Now when I plug the headphones into the audio card jack about halfway (the 2 lines on the jack are inside) audio works in both ears, but I think it's just mono (i.e the left being broadcast to both or something…) It's probably worth noting that, for some bizarre reason, the plug for the headphones is slightly curved at the end (though it has worked despite this for quite a long time). I read somewhere else that if these symptoms are reported, it has something to do with the grounding of the audio card jack or something? Hopefully one of you guys knows. Any ideas on what I can do about this? Thanks, Raptor EDIT: Also of note I guess: The headphones jack into a volume controller which then jacks into the audio card. The plug that jacks into the volume controller is not damaged as far as I can tell. However, half-plugging this first part into the volume controller ALSO enables sound in both headphones, even when the second plug is fully pushed into the audio jack.
I certainly can't rule out "physical damage" as an ultimate and possibly permanent cause. But in the good ole' days of dial radio, a good blast of WD-40 could clear up a tuner or volume pot when nothing else would. I do not recommend that you spray WD-40 "into" your sound card port, nor into the intermediary card port. But rather, consider spraying a generous amount of WD-40 onto the jack (the insertable portion) and then work the jack back and forth for a few repeated cycles, connecting and un-connecting. That could possibly lift any glazing that may be fouling the connection and causing the problem you describe. Best Regards

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI