This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

windows installer

2 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

I am having a problem with Windows Installer. I uninstalled some software I was not using to free up and clean up some space on my hard drive. After uninstalling the software, restarting my machine, and logging in a window from Windows Installer opens with the following: FAX in upper left corner Preparing to install Please wait while windows configures fax Gathering required information The feature you are trying to use is on a CD-ROM or other removable disk that is not available. Insert the ‘fax’ disk and click ok I have no disk called ‘fax’ and have not asked window installer to install anything. I do not know how it was propped to install anything. When I hit ok with this appears: Windows installer error 1706 NO valid source could be found for product fax. The windows Installer cannot continue. At one time it asked for fax.msi It does this every time I restart the machine. How do I fix this? I tried restoring the windows and it will not restore to any previous point. Thanks for you help! Jerry
Hi, Sorry to hear of the problem with Windows Installer. It looks as though the Windows Fax utility has been partly installed (or uninstalled) and the bits that remain are giving you the problem. If you go to: 1 Start 2 Settings/Control Panel 3 Add or remove programs 4 Change Windows installations 5 Scroll to Fax 6 Uninstall 7 Reboot It should solve your problems Regards paws Ps I am not on my regular machine using Xp, so the above are from my memory! post back if any problems
Paws Thanks for your help. I tried your instuctions. When I scroll in the change windows screen there is no FAX. Any ideas?? Thanks for your help. Jerry
Hi, I'm back on an Xp machine now. I have just run through the instructions on my Windows Xp machine so try this: 1 Start 2 Control Panel 3 Add or Remove programmes 4 Add/Remove Windows Components The Fax Services is the second one down in the list. Hope this helps Regards paws
Paws I found the FAX service and removed it. Upon restarting my machine the windows installer started trying to install FAX just as before. I have searched the net and there seems to be these problems with windows installer but I have not found a fix. Still looking for ideas! Jerry

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI