This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

System restore on strike

1 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Hi, :)

My system restore is not working anymore. Don't remember when this started though. :blush:

Here is the error message:

Symbolic Name: EVMSG_DISABLEDVOLUME
Message: The System Restore filter encountered the unexpected error '%2' while processing the file '%3' on the volume '%4'. It has stopped monitoring the volume.

Explanation
System Restore encountered an error when backing up a protected file. This error causes System Restore to stop copying files and purge all existing restore points. System Restore will automatically restart after the next restore point is created.


The things I've tried:
1. Manually created a restore point to see if that won't be deleted. Created successfully. After a few days it was deleted.
2. Stopped then started SR then did number 1 again. The same output.
3. Tried to reinstall SR, but when I got to the point when copying files for srclient.dll it fails. It says that it can't copy the files because it can't find it or something. I have 6 srclient.dll on my computer and one by one I tried to point the direction to those files but still no go. I've set this settings just for these: Hidden files and folders are showing, protected operating system files are showing, extensions for known file types are showing but still no dice.
4. Went here -> http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=302796 , done all that, nope.
5. Tried this hotfix -> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/888402/en-us . No go, it says that am using a more updated system that's why the hotfix is not needed.
6. Enabled monitoring of SR to only the system drive but still no go.

I have 39 GB free of hard disk space as of this posting.

Thank you for your help. :)

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI