I am running Windows Vista Home Premium 32 bit operating system.Intel® core™2 CPU 4300
@ 1.80GHz and 4.00 GB of RAM
I have recently run Total File Cleaner, something I have done several times over the last few
years with no apparent problems. This time however my desktop symbols disappeared and the
computer froze. I switched it off at the electrical power point and then rebooted it.
Everthing seemed fine but when I opened… Computer…Local Disk (C:) I found these extra
folders….
$AVG
$Recycle.Bin
Boot
found.000
Documents and Settings
ProgramData
System Volume Information
and these files…
autoexec.bat
bootmgr
config.sys
hiberfil.sys
IO.SYS
MSDOS.SYS
pagefile.sys
I tried System Restore from three different points but after it has run right through I get
a box telling me that the process was unsuccessful and the system has not been restored.
I would be grateful for any advice.
It sounds like you are now seeing all files on the hard drive, including Hidden and System files.
If you don't want to see those files any more, open Control Panel, Folder Options. Click on the View tab and check Hide protected Operating System files [Recommended].
Thank you Ztruker.That has solved the Folders and Files bit of the problem.I just tried another System Restore but at the end of it I got the same message about an 'unspecified error' preventing the restore.
Delete all the existing restore points then create a new one. Reboot and try to restore it.
Open Control Panel then Backup and Restore.
Click on Create a restore point or change settings at left.
Remove the check from all drives. Click on Turn System Restore Off when asked if you really want to do this.
Click Apply.
That deletes all existing restore points.
Place a check in the box for your boot drive then click Apply then click the Create button to make a new restore point.
I've just finished following your instructions and everything went well. A message came up telling me that the new Restore Point is ok. I'm going to try a full System Restore in the next half hour and I'll get back to you.
Hello Ztruker. The first thing I noticed when I went to do the Restore was that the previous System Restore points had not deleted so after I tried to restore to todays point the same error message came up. I'll go back through your instructions and start over.
Right I started over and this time I only had the new Restore Point to select, the others were gone but after I ran the full System Restore the same error message came up.
'System Restore did not complete successfully your computer files and settings were not changed.'
'An unspecified error occured during System Restore'
Ok. Did everything you suggested and it all went smoothly but sadly after trying System Restore same error message. I really appreciate all your efforts on my part.
Regards
See if you have a C:\Windows\Logs\CBS\CBS.log file. If so, please zip it up then upload here as an attachment. Use the Browse and Upload buttons below the message input area.
Mmm. Bit stuck here. I tried zipping it up with WinRar but I was told I couldn't upload that type of file and it's too big to simply upload as a document.
✨ Ask AI
AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date
Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI