This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

System Restore Wont Run

3 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Hi,
Not sure if I have this in the correct Forum but here goes:
I removed various infections with MS and other programs which were free on the internet and recommended here. Some had found infections in the restore area. Now when I try to run Restore (right click on My Computer/Properties) I get the following error (in a popup window) and can not open it at all.
—————————
RUNDLL
—————————
An exception occurred while trying to run "C:\WINDOWS\system32\shell32.dll,Control_RunDLL "C:\WINDOWS\system32\sysdm.cpl",System"

—————————
OK
—————————


I've tried to boot in Administrator mode and safe mode. Same problems.
I'd like to turn off restore so that I can reset it and remove virus if there are anymore in there.
Any direction would be appreciated.
Thanks
Brian
Hi Brian,

I wonder if some system files went missing or corrupted during your recent infection and procedures to remove the infection?

Consider scanning with System File Checker:
Start - Run - (type) sfc /scannow

A DOS window with appear briefly and then disappear.
Then a progress bar window will appear as SFC scans your Operating System files for missing or corrupted files. If SFC identifies a missing or corrupt system file it will call for your installation CD to place a fresh/correct copy of the file where it needs to be.

Let us know how you are progressing.

Best Regards

The following Microsoft knowledge base article may be helpful to you:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/q302796/

Note: I see that you are running XP (without SP2?)
Some other users have solve problems similar to yours by installing or re-installing SP2.
Please consider updating to SP2 and then update at Microsoft Updates to get other important security updates.
Dough thanks for the reply.

I tried as you sugested

Consider scanning with System File Checker:
Start - Run - (type) sfc /scannow


and it appears to have changed the problem. Now I get a popup error window:
Run a DLL as an App has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience.

To see what the error report contains, click here. I get this :
AppName: rundll32.exe AppVer: 5.1.2600.2180 ModName: srrstr.dll
ModVer: 5.1.2600.2180 Offset: 000099b2

There is also a lot of technical information reported too, let me know if I need to post this.

The problem however is still the same. Just now it's reported to MS, no info or help from them.

When I ran the command line like you suggested before it took a long time, not sure what was repaired because it didnt say. I rebooted the computer also before I tried this.

Thanks
Brian
This problem with System Restore sometimes occurs when the owner/user installs a new Hard Drive and uses the Hard Drive manufacturer's utility to move files to the new Hard Drive. I certainly don't know if you've done this. It actually doesn't sound like you did, but the infection may have caused something similar. Follow these steps to see if you can gain access to System Restore: 1 Click Start | Control Panel | Administrative Tools | Services. 2 Right-click System Restore Service and click Properties. 3 From the Startup Type drop-down, select Disabled. 4 Click OK. 5 Close the Services and Administrative Tools windows. 6 Right-click My Computer, click Properties, and click the System Restore tab. The System Restore tab should now display properly; however, the System Restore service will be disabled. 7 Enable System Restore and click Apply. Let us know how you are progressing. Best Regards
Dough, Hi, Thanks for the quick replies. You were correct. I installed new drive and used maxblast. The procedure you outlined worked just like you said. Thanks for your help. I'll store this one away for the future :) Thanks Again

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI