I endeavored to post this System Restore tip in Tech Tips, but New Topic will not load for me nor will it in the following four:
Tech Tips Sub-Forum (although I see Vectris, Tallon41, and Jkc73 are able to post a new topic)
I Would not require or expect the last four, but would have thought Tech Tips would be approved.
Site Orientation and FAQ
Whatthetech news
Self Help and Fixes
Security. Best Practice and Prevention
Perhaps a Moderator or Administrator could assist thanks?
System Restore doesn't work anymore
QUESTION: I've used System Restore before in XP and it worked great, but it's stopped working. Any ideas? Thanks! - Philip K.
ANSWER: There are several things that can cause System Restore to stop working (either stop making restore points, or be unable to restore from them). Something many people don't realize is that if you disable the Task Scheduler service, System Restore won't create restore points. To start it up, click Start | Run and type services.msc and then click OK. Scroll down to "Task Scheduler" in the left column (Name). If the service status isn't "Started," right click and select Start. Also be sure the Startup Type is set to "Automatic."
Another problem that can mess up System Restore is low disk space. The service needs at least 1 to 2 GB free on the partition where Windows is installed in order to make restore points. If it doesn't have that, free up some space (delete or move files).
I have Ghost 12 image backup, so I was not concerned that my System Restore did not work for me on this PC. Now the above tip has solved the problem for me. Perhaps it will help other Members on this forum.
Tallin,
Do you see Bug Tracker at the very top of your Forum Page.
Posting there will give Blair a shout. If there is a problem, he'll look into it.
Post your suggested Tip into Tech Helper.
Ztruker may review it for the Windows 101 series.
Doug
For instance, candidates for Best Practices
and for Windows 101
are being reviewed for general forum posting.
Yours on System Restore would most likely fit with Windows 101 after review by Ztruker.
And please contribute to the review of other posts that are being developed there in Tech Helper.