This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Hardware

Hi-speed USB port

1 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

When I connect my external hard drive for back up I get the message…… "Hi-speed USB 2.0 port" and something about would work quicker. So I presume I don`t have a high speed one. Its not a major problem for me but maybe something I should rectify. What exactly needs to be done? is this a driver update thing or do I need to replace some part in the pC (its an old pc) Would this be an expensive fix (thinking ebay) Thoughts on this. thanks Scudo
If the motherboard only has USB 1.0 there is nothing to do but possibly use a PCI USB 2.0 card. What is the exact make and model of the computer?
A PCI USB card with 4 or 5 ports can be bought for a pound or two, they are easy to fit but remember when opening your machine to take all personal safety precautions…..make sure AC mains wire is disconnected and any other wires connected to a power source (including a BT socket, if applicable) (dont rely on just switching off the machine, it must be physically disconnected) then hold in the machine's power on button for 20 seconds (still with AC) disconnected. Also don't mess with the power supply…… there are capacitors in there that retain a powerful electrical charge for a long time even after everything has been disconnected…….. Take full anti static precaustions (ESD) as static can kill off a machine , but sometimes the failure will take a week or two or even a month or two to become evident Otherwise its all straightforward :thumbup: Regards paws
Hi Paws, Thanks for the info, I am ok with diving into the PC been there a few times so I know the precautions. I am a bit of a coward so probably over cautious if anything. Thanks again Scudo

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI