Hello
I have a printer icon inmy task tray and within the program itself, there is no way to disable this.
I used to 'run' msconfig to bring up the system configuration utility, click selective startup then uncheck the items I did not want.
I have been told serious trouble can be caused in mscofig and not to use it.
There is a start up manager download I have found but don't want to use it unless there is no other easier way to get rid of that startup icon.
Thank you
The use of msconfig for "permanent" solutions is usually frowned upon. Msconfig is considered more of a diagnostic tool to temporarily troubleshoot problems.
The thing is, when you get technical about it, all of these startup manager programs are "temporary" in nature because all of them make a backup (or at least they should) of what programs you disable so they can be turned back on if there is a problem.
In my opinion, although I would not use msconfig for this, you will not have any problems using msconfig for this. Just bear in mind that when you run msconfig it will always be in a limited startup mode rather than normal mode.
If you want to get right to the source of where the program starts at there are two places in the registry, and one place in your start menu to look in. By modifying these locations you can "permanently" remove this program from starting up. However, there are some un-necessary dangers of going in and editing your registry. For the average user who wants to help their computer startup a little faster, msconfig is just fine.
Have a great day!
Apple
I heard you say you would not use msconfig for this so neither will I.
Leaving startup in normal, especially for a limited user, is prudicious.
I may consider the startup manager if the icon gets to me.
Thank you for the message.
✨ Ask AI
AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date
Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI