Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 93081 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

firefox 3.5

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Peter1

Peter1

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,114 posts
  • Interests:Grandchildren, puttering, pc.

Posted 28 July 2009 - 12:14 PM

Hello
I installed Firefox 3.5 and decide it was not for me.
I removed it from add/remove and tried to find either Firefox or Mozilla in 'Program Files' where it was supposed to go. The names were not there. I performed an advanced search which did not find anything.
Could this clean inunstall be because I did not reboot after the installation of Firefox to begin with or could it be hiding elswhere regardless of the search?
Thank you

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#2 AplusWebMaster

AplusWebMaster

AplusWebMaster

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,472 posts
  • Interests:... The never-ending battle for Truth, Justice, and the American way.

Posted 28 July 2009 - 01:35 PM

... Could this clean inunstall be because I did not reboot after the installation of Firefox to begin with or could it be hiding elswhere regardless of the search?

Er, 'don't think so. I suspect you were looking for it to revert to the previous version, 3.0.12?

You can reinstall it by downloading v3.0.12 here: http://www.mozilla.c.../all-older.html
Keep in mind you'll -have- to go v3.5.x in Jan. 2010, when they stop supporting the older version. By then, hopefully all the developers who do the extensions that aren't yet compatible with v3.5.x - will be.

Just an aside, you probably lost all your bookmarks, etc. Get this for future use:
MozBackup
- http://mozbackup.jas...om/download.php
... more info here:
- http://kb.mozillazine.org/MozBackup

.The machine has no brain.
 ......... Use your own.
Browser check for updates here.
YOU need to defend against -all- vulnerabilities.
Hacks only need to find -1- to get in...

#3 Peter1

Peter1

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,114 posts

Posted 29 July 2009 - 04:50 PM

I'm sorry but your reply does not seem to apply to my post. I was asking why there are no traces of Firefox 3.5 after I installed it, tried it, then removed it via add/remove. Every article I have read talks about further steps to remove it totally from the pc that I did not have to do b/c there were no traces left. I suspected the reason there were no traces is b/c there was no reboot before removal.

#4 AplusWebMaster

AplusWebMaster

AplusWebMaster

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,472 posts
  • Interests:... The never-ending battle for Truth, Justice, and the American way.

Posted 29 July 2009 - 05:16 PM

"... removed it via add/remove."

Sorry if I missed something. This article seems to cover "Uninstall", and what happens:

> http://kb.mozillazin...efox#On_Windows

... but you have to plug in the blanks with the exact steps you did during the "add/remove".

:scratch:

Edited by AplusWebMaster, 29 July 2009 - 05:20 PM.

......... Use your own.

#5 Peter1

Peter1

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,114 posts

Posted 30 July 2009 - 05:58 AM

Hi Again When I come here it is b/c I am the one who is ininformed and need help. I have agreat appreciation and admiration for you and your coworkers who offer the help. I have a knack of misreading or misunderstanding and I apologize if I was abrupt. I think the articles I read were saying, "If add/remove did not remove all of Firefox 3.5, do the following, etc., and I read them as, "Do the following to remove residual items after the add/remove uninstall." So, when I found no items in the rcommended searches I wondered why. It sems it is because add/remove had done its job. Does this appear to be the case?

#6 AplusWebMaster

AplusWebMaster

AplusWebMaster

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,472 posts

Posted 30 July 2009 - 06:40 AM

'Not sure. Bottom line is: you need to get back to where you want to be.

Example: A few days ago, my primary machine started acting up with intermittent BSOD's and hangs that required power-off/on to get going again. 'Ended up having to re-seat the RAM DIMM - fixed. But I was left with a residual problem that hung around for a few days after that - corrupted data. 'Had to reinstall the firewall and correct a few other things after that. 'Seems to be OK now, though.

'Point is: NONE of this stuff is perfect - 'never will be (see avatar/sign). Sometimes, it's best to put it behind you and move on.

I'm still using FF v3.0.12 (old school theory says wait awhile for new versions, anyway), since not all of my add-ons/extentions are compatible with FF v3.5.x - yet.

You can download FF v3.0.12 from here: http://www.mozilla.c.../all-older.html

......... Use your own.

#7 Peter1

Peter1

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,114 posts

Posted 30 July 2009 - 07:12 AM

Moving on is the operative term but I must say I am learning and that is my goal. At my skill level, however, I have to be careful where I poke my fingers. So far so good. Thank you

#8 Ztruker

Ztruker

WTT Technical Elder

• Tech Team
  • 8,292 posts
  • Interests:Helping people fix MS Windows related computer problems of all kinds.

Waking each morning to see the green side of the Earth!

Posted 30 July 2009 - 07:41 PM

The FF uninstaller is very good and has never failed for me. Sounds like it worked well for you as well.

Rich

Die with memories, not dreams. – Unknown

#9 Peter1

Peter1

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,114 posts

Posted 31 July 2009 - 12:47 PM

It is strange because I just used add/remove with no special uninstaller. But I am glad it all left the machine. I am one of the few who did not care for it. I like my MSIE 8.