This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Chrome

3 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

I am interested in an informed opinin about Google's Chrome browser. I know the reputation of my MSIE 8 so wondered if I can/should uninstall the microsoft browser or just install Chrome so they coexist. This seems like more maintenace as I would have two browswerrs to care for. It maybe worth it if the new one provides much better performance. Would I be safer because I am keeping MSIE updated and just existing , but am actually using a safer browser on the we? Lastly, if I do not like a browser, can I easily uninstall it through add/remove? Thank you
Hi Pete There is nothing to hinder, in having more than one browser installed, I have 3 at the moment (IE8, Firefox 3.5.1and Safari 4.0.2) But you can't uninstall Internet Explorer completely, it is so integrated in the Operating system, that it is not do-able by any satisfying means. Win7 will have this feature tho. Alternative browsers can be installed and uninstalled like any other software application. As for Chrome, it is faster and more lightweight than IE8. But being from Google, you will also get something that some people compare to spyware. Google will monitor what pages you visit, so they can assist you with better Google searches, targeted ad's and so forth. They don't give away this info to 3rd part. Some people don't like this, others don't care. As for safety, it is compareable to any other high-end browsers I believe (haven't looked at it for a while) It is always a good idea to keep your software updated, including IE. One never know when you have use for it. As for keeping maintenance for two browsers, it is usually easy. Most browsers will notify if there is updates available, and IE will update through windows update if critical. Regards
Hello Aby I had read an article about removing Chrome. I think the article meant totally instead of sufficiently as it addressed orphaned reg keys etc. Suficiently is good enough for me. After reading your message, I better understand browsers. I picked up on Windows 7 having the means to remove MSIE and use another, not with, but instead. I like the fact that it can be done. From what I have read, it may be better to keep a browser you don't care for rather than try to remove it and cause issues. However, you seem to feel add/remove will do the trick. I'll go with your thinking. I read now and then that Google seems to want to be like 'big brother'. I only have 768 mbs of ram so am I better off with one browser in that respect? Instead of more memory I am hoping to get another machine. If I'm ok with the memory I have not being a problem for 2 browsers, I will try Firefox. for the experience. Thank you

I only have 768 mbs of ram so am I better off with one browser in that respect?


Should pose no problem. Of course if you open both at the same time, memory may become an issue, otherwise, no.
(Multiple tabs open can do this as well if excessive numbers are opened)

Trying out Firefox is a good choice Pete :thumbup:


Cheers

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI