Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 93083 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

msie 8

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Peter1

Peter1

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,114 posts
  • Interests:Grandchildren, puttering, pc.

Posted 25 March 2009 - 07:49 AM

Hello Now that MSIE 8 is no longer Beta, are any explorer users finding it to be a worth while download? I think it is a good idea to use the latest version to be the most secure. I concede that Firefox etc users consider the explorer to be like swiss cheese. This question is basically for those who use the explorer. It would be nice to get a few opinions before doing the actual download. I had a successful download of ver 7 when I ran all my a/v, spyware programs and cleared out temp files and stored up things not necessary. Thank you

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#2 John B..

John B..

Honors Grad

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 324 posts

Posted 25 March 2009 - 08:58 AM

Hi again,

In a hidden part of the forum the staff had a discussion about IE8. Overall it seems to be an improvement, but some have problems with the speed of it. Generally IE is now, unless your system is an exception like sometimes happened to the staff, about as fast as FireFox. Even real FireFox users like it. For instance:
http://blogs.compute..._than_firefox_3
http://community.win...-or-safari.aspx

One problem of course is that a lot of add-ons and websites have to be updated to work with IE8:
"Some folks are complaining that IE8 breaks some sites they visit. IE8 does not break sites. What that really means is those sites do not conform to established Internet standards and most likely are tweaked for IE6 and IE7. In those cases, hitting Compatibility View under the Page button will render the page properly until site admin update site software." (by Digerati)

think it is a good idea to use the latest version to be the most secure.

This is not really true. Newer versions fix bugs of older versions, but they also have new bugs that have not been found out yet. Considering this to be out of beta I think it is safe to update, but not yet highly recommended above staying with IE7 for a little longer.

Please let me know if you understand and if you have anymore questions.

Regards,
John.

#3 Peter1

Peter1

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,114 posts

Posted 25 March 2009 - 12:26 PM

Hello John Your consensus is clear and I'm grateful for it; I will wait for some time to check in again. If I may, if I download Firefox, do I have to treat it like the explorer with updates, maintenance etc all the while taking care of the explorer which is my current browser? It seems like more than less work so I am probably not understanding the involvements one encounters with two browsers. Thanx again

#4 John B..

John B..

Honors Grad

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 324 posts

Posted 25 March 2009 - 01:15 PM

Hi,

If I may, if I download Firefox, do I have to treat it like the explorer with updates, maintenance etc all the while taking care of the explorer which is my current browser?

Well, FireFox automatically checks when you are using the browser. If it finds an update it will download it and then say that after you restart the browser it will install the update. This means that you can just go on with your current browsing session and afterwards close and open the browser.

Maintenance is easy: You can use Extra > Clear Private Data (or just click Ctrl+Shift+Del) and select what you want to clean up (cookies, etc.).

It seems like more than less work so I am probably not understanding the involvements one encounters with two browsers.

What do you mean by 'more than less work' and 'involvements'? I will assume that you mean that you think it is more difficult than it seems to have multiple browsers.

It really is not. While installing FireFox it will, for instance, ask you if you want to copy all your bookmarks from Internet Explorer to FireFox (note that I said copy, not move). It will also ask you if you want FireFox to be your default browser. This means that when, for example, you have a PDF file open or any other program with an active link and you click on it that you will be sent there with FireFox instead of Internet Explorer. You can decide for yourself. I have Internet Explorer as default as my parents do not like, or want to understand, FireFox. When I just want to browse the internet I use FireFox and when I click a link in MSN it will open Internet Explorer.

One thing to keep in mind is that Microsoft/Windows updates will have to be done through Internet Explorer.

Regards,
John.

#5 Peter1

Peter1

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,114 posts

Posted 25 March 2009 - 02:19 PM

John Your message was very clear and I thank you for it. I had no idea before I wrote you so now I can move with some certainty of what to do.