This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Wanted: Freeware conversions

6 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

I am looking for user friendly conversion freeware, malware free, so I can transfer the many videos I have top a more popular format. It seems Real Player wants total control of what you download. I have the new beta version of Real Player and I think it's a good player….until you want to share videos with others who don't have computers or only use the windows media player.

I looked at that avs http://www.avs4you.com/AVS-Video-Converter…&cid=359397 download here and it says Real uses .rm, .rv, .ram, .rmvb, and/or .ivr and it will read but not convert a Real format. Did I misunderstand this?

Does anyone here know of any such beast, or does anyone have any useful tips?

Thanks.

I just saw in the topic I posted "jpeg" and I meant "mpeg". I hope this clears up some cornfuzion.
Ok, thanks for the link, but I have more questions. What OS is a 64 bit? On the page to the link you posted, it says "Question : when I use "All to RMVB",appear error message "Fail to decode". Answer:FormatFactory use system installed codec to decode sourec files. you must install some codec that your files needed. You can install "K-Lite" or other codec pack to solve this problem. Is this the only format Real Player uses? What is the part about " you must install some codec that your files needed."? Is "K-Lite" in this download?
Most likely, since you don't know, you are running the more common 32 bit version of a windows XP or Vista OS.
64bit is becoming more common and will likely be "standard" in future machines.

Here's how to find the information you are interested it:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?…kb;en-us;827218
_______________________
_______________________

About "All to RMVB"

Do you really want to use Real Media as your exclusive or primary video display utility?
RM is probably the most restrictive and doesn't play nicely with other video display such as MS MediaPlayer and other third-party utilities.

You will likely have problems if you share your media with others, and if you wish to display your media on other devices such as your Television, hand-held or other players.

K-lite is a well recognized and trusted collections of Codecs (algorithm codes to convert stored media information to display-able form)

K-Lite Codec Pack - available free here:
http://www.free-codecs.com/download/K_lite_codec_pack.htm

The comments above about Real Media utilities and formatting are my own opinion and are not intended to represent WTT nor to contradict other information you may receive in reply from our other excellent Techs.

Best Regards
I would find something other than real player for your video/audio needs. As pointed out its restrictive and a resource hog.
You should find some apps here for encoding real video/audio to other formats.
Also has a forum you could search using the term: real or its video extensions, or ask questions.
Some may be freeware, some not. Read the user comments. Ive downloaded many tools from here but cant speak for all of them.

Select the format from the "Select conversion feature" drop down panel


ditto for me:

The comments above about Real Media utilities and formatting are my own opinion and are not intended to represent WTT nor to contradict other information you may receive in reply from our other excellent Techs.

Thanks for the tips. I just downloaded K-Lite and I got a notice that says that a " "Morgan Multimedia Stream Switcher" has been installed. This is a bad filter that can cause various problems. It is highley recommened to disable it." What the heck is a "Morgan Multimedia Stream Switcher" ? OK, I'm in a funk. Is this a problem I should worry about or what? Quotations are mine and do not show up in the set up window. It also downloaded twice??????? I don't have a clue why. I only hit the download once. Oh man this is a lot of work just to share some videos.
The following is courtesy of another one of our fine Techs – Jephree

follow all these instructions as to uninstall Morgan:

Quote:
If you want to remove our codec from your system you can :

1. Download and install our MJPEG codec from: http://www.morgan-multimedia.com/download/m3jpegv3.exe
and then unsinstall it.

or
2. If 1. does not work, search for files M3JPEG32.dll, M3JPEGdecVFW.ax, M3JPEGencVFW.ax and MMIJG32.dll on your hard disk and delete them.



Several "codec packs" include another one of our products which is freeware and called "Morgan Stream Switcher". You might encounter problems using codec pack's version of "Morgan Stream Switcher" with Windows Media Player 9 or 10.

If you want to remove Morgan Stream Switcher from your system you can :

1. Download and install official version from: http://www.morgan-multimedia.com/download/mmswitch.exe
and then unsinstall it.

or
2. If 1. does not work, search for files MMSwitch.dll and MMSwitch.ax on your hard disk and delete them.
http://www.morgan-multimedia.com/codecpacks.htm

Well, I tried to understand the last post and it's meaning. I don't understand. Could you please tell me if this software is ok to use or will I have problems. I am in unknown territory here, which is why I'm here. Does this window of warning come up for everyone? Or is my pc telling something I should be listening to. For example, when I open a function that my webroot firewall "thinks" is unusual, a box comes up in my bottom right with a warning and asks for a response from me. I have had this window open in my pc since yesterday (I had to work last night) because I would like help about this!! :pullhair:
I have had no problem with it. But since no two machines and the software installed are alike, I can't really say if you have something that would conflict. If in doubt, make a restore point before doing anything else. And then try, nothing more to it really, except the guidelines given by Doug. Or you could look for alternatives. I only recommended the program, because it is what I use (And not very often at that) Knowing no other alternatives by experience, that was my choice. Regards
Wilderness… In your opening post you described that you use RM. Abydos provided a reliable utility. I question whether RM is the best player available for my above reasons. That Abydos provided a competent utility for your stated purpose is supported by me. I also support your ability to select RM as your player of choice. That your system is demonstrating problems at this time, does not detract from your right to select RM or to use the utility competently suggested by Abydos. It just means that with your present constellation of operating system and installed software, there are conflicts. One good strategy is to uninstall the apparent erroring application(s). Later you can experiment with re-installing the application(s) as you see fit. Best Regards
Thanks all for the explanations. I installed K-Lite, uninstalled Real and Quick as I believe suggested. Now I have no audio and I get this and similar windows depending on the video. But it is the same…no audio: C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\My Documents\My Videos\Codex Alimentarius.flv::Audio ffdshow Audio Decoder::Out Audio Switcher::Out Media Type 0: ————————– Audio: PCM 22050Hz stereo 705Kbps AM_MEDIA_TYPE: majortype: MEDIATYPE_Audio {73647561-0000-0010-8000-00AA00389B71} subtype: MEDIASUBTYPE_PCM {00000001-0000-0010-8000-00AA00389B71} formattype: FORMAT_WaveFormatEx {05589F81-C356-11CE-BF01-00AA0055595A} bFixedSizeSamples: 1 bTemporalCompression: 0 lSampleSize: 1 cbFormat: 18 WAVEFORMATEX: wFormatTag: 0x0001 nChannels: 2 nSamplesPerSec: 22050 nAvgBytesPerSec: 88200 nBlockAlign: 4 wBitsPerSample: 16 cbSize: 0 (extra bytes) pbFormat: 0000: 01 00 02 00 22 56 00 00 88 58 01 00 04 00 10 00 …."V..ˆX…… 0010: 00 00 .. Media Type 1: ————————– Unknown AM_MEDIA_TYPE: majortype: MEDIATYPE_Stream {E436EB83-524F-11CE-9F53-0020AF0BA770} subtype: MEDIASUBTYPE_None {E436EB8E-524F-11CE-9F53-0020AF0BA770} formattype: FORMAT_None {0F6417D6-C318-11D0-A43F-00A0C9223196} bFixedSizeSamples: 0 bTemporalCompression: 0 lSampleSize: 307200 cbFormat: 0 :smack:

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI