Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 93081 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

trojan

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Peter1

Peter1

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,114 posts
  • Interests:Grandchildren, puttering, pc.

Posted 22 July 2009 - 03:13 PM

Hello I was unable to post in 'Security' so I will try here. I used Google to look up leg swelling and my medication. Mcafee popped up and said it caught HTML/FakeAV. When I looked it up in the Mcafee detection log it said repaired(removed). Would it be better to remove Mcafee and reinstall it so it would be clean or leave as is? Thank you

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#2 Ztruker

Ztruker

WTT Technical Elder

• Tech Team
  • 8,292 posts
  • Interests:Helping people fix MS Windows related computer problems of all kinds.

Waking each morning to see the green side of the Earth!

Posted 22 July 2009 - 07:10 PM

Leave it, it's doing it's job.

Rich

Die with memories, not dreams. – Unknown

#3 Peter1

Peter1

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,114 posts

Posted 23 July 2009 - 07:08 AM

Hi Z A quick story; I persued the results a bit and found that the detecton log said 'repaired(removed)'. I then looked in the restore log which said 'quarantined' with a box next to it. I checked on the box and 3 choices appeared; repair,restore + remove. Like a typical dumb novice I removed it hoping system restore could fix it. I knew, in the back of my head, it could not restore a file that was wrongly deleted so I cofess to outright stupidity and impulsiveness. I did not like the trojan being in quaramtine as I thought malware should ultimately be attended to. I ran a scan which was negative. I removed McAfee with the uninstall tool and reinstalled it. I have since run scans and there appears to be no problem with all my programs so maybe I got off the hook luckily. A good thing came out of this. I had called Comcast + Mcafee because I saw on my Comcst homepage that Mcafee had a new vesion out. I called and they, Comcast + McAfee said it was not true. The version and builds I just downloade ARE new so I think I am better off than before. The new one runs better also. Fool's luck. So, are you saying that when your virus program quarantines a trojan, you should leave it there permanently? Please let me know and thank you.

#4 Ztruker

Ztruker

WTT Technical Elder

• Tech Team
  • 8,292 posts
  • Interests:Helping people fix MS Windows related computer problems of all kinds.

Waking each morning to see the green side of the Earth!

Posted 30 July 2009 - 06:46 PM

Sorry for the late reply, I've been on vacation, just got back. Once it's quarantined, it's effectively gone as far as your computer is concerned, so deleting it from quarantine is up to you. Leaving it there is not a problem either since it is no longer in a place where it can be accessed or run. A matter of personal preference.

Rich

Die with memories, not dreams. – Unknown

#5 Peter1

Peter1

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,114 posts

Posted 31 July 2009 - 12:39 PM

Hi Z You may not be glad you are back but Iam. Hope you had a pleasant relaxing time. It is good to hear I can leave it there and will unless I am certain it is ok to remove it. No one else would answer, yes or no which is what I was asking. Right now I do not have any troubles and nothing is in quarantine. Thanx again.