This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

trojan

2 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Hello I was unable to post in 'Security' so I will try here. I used Google to look up leg swelling and my medication. Mcafee popped up and said it caught HTML/FakeAV. When I looked it up in the Mcafee detection log it said repaired(removed). Would it be better to remove Mcafee and reinstall it so it would be clean or leave as is? Thank you
Hi Z A quick story; I persued the results a bit and found that the detecton log said 'repaired(removed)'. I then looked in the restore log which said 'quarantined' with a box next to it. I checked on the box and 3 choices appeared; repair,restore + remove. Like a typical dumb novice I removed it hoping system restore could fix it. I knew, in the back of my head, it could not restore a file that was wrongly deleted so I cofess to outright stupidity and impulsiveness. I did not like the trojan being in quaramtine as I thought malware should ultimately be attended to. I ran a scan which was negative. I removed McAfee with the uninstall tool and reinstalled it. I have since run scans and there appears to be no problem with all my programs so maybe I got off the hook luckily. A good thing came out of this. I had called Comcast + Mcafee because I saw on my Comcst homepage that Mcafee had a new vesion out. I called and they, Comcast + McAfee said it was not true. The version and builds I just downloade ARE new so I think I am better off than before. The new one runs better also. Fool's luck. So, are you saying that when your virus program quarantines a trojan, you should leave it there permanently? Please let me know and thank you.
Sorry for the late reply, I've been on vacation, just got back. Once it's quarantined, it's effectively gone as far as your computer is concerned, so deleting it from quarantine is up to you. Leaving it there is not a problem either since it is no longer in a place where it can be accessed or run. A matter of personal preference.
Hi Z You may not be glad you are back but Iam. Hope you had a pleasant relaxing time. It is good to hear I can leave it there and will unless I am certain it is ok to remove it. No one else would answer, yes or no which is what I was asking. Right now I do not have any troubles and nothing is in quarantine. Thanx again.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI