Hi all,
Recently, my Dell flat-panel monitor has been turning off on its own (green power light does not light on). I'll push the power button back on and the screen will come back on for a split second and then turn right back off. On some tries, it doesn't even come back on.
I tried plugging the monitor power cord into another outlet and I am still havintg the same issues. I do not have an extra monitor to test to see if the problems occurs with another monitor.
I don't know if the monitor is overheating, if that's even possible? Or if it just old and needs replacing. The monitor is probably ~5 years old. Right now, I've left the computer shut off for a few hours, and I haven't had this problem recur tonight, yet.
I don't see a model # on the screen but if anyone needs additional information I can gladly try to provide.
Thanks in advance~
Hi, and sorry to hear of the problem you are experiencing with your VDU.
The first step is usually to establish if it's the VDU/Cables etc or the computer itself that is the problem…..
I suggest you try this:
1 take your computer to a chum's house and plug in your VDU, with your cabling to his computer and see if the problem continues.
2 Plug in your computer to his VDU etc……
Let us know how you get on.
Regards
and Happy Christmas
paws
Now, the problem is getting progressively worse. I haven't had the monitor turn off by itself lately, but now when I turn the computer on, the monitor kind of flickers with horizontal lines… is this a monitor problem or a video card problem, or something else? If anyone has any insight, I'd appreciate it. I just want to make sure I'm buying the right replacement part (monitor vs video card…)
The Dell Monitor model is E171FPB
Hi there. I was only able to test my monitor with a friend's laptop. The problem with the flickering lines did not appear while plugged into his laptop. I was not able to connect my tower to a spare monitor, though.
Hi, it sounds then as though your monitor is OK so its your tower thats the prime suspect.
Can you swop your video card for a known good one?
Before you do this try setting the video acceleration to half way or Zero rather than full advance and download the latest video driver for your machine/card
My feeling on this is you may need to fit a new video card
Regards
paws
✨ Ask AI
AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date
Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI