This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

program associated

4 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Hi Ladies and Gentlemen, I am wondering if someone can help me but I would like you to remember I am 60 yo and what I know about computers you could write on the back of a postage stamp. This morning I checked my mail and did of few posts to a group I am on and my computer worked as normal,ok for me.This afternoon I wanted to go on line but could not conect to the Internet.I tried a few things for about an hour and when they did not work I rang my ISP.We worked though it and I am on line again although my computer is a lot slower than before but that is not my problem I will put up with this. Before I would click on an icon on my desktop and it would open,eg,Google,a couple of groups that I am on.Now I have a go to IE,that opens Yahoo then I seach for say Google au.If I then try to put a shortcut to Google I set a message about file associated program etc.Create an assoc in the set assoc control panel.If I click on the icons ion the desktop I get the same message.I have tried to work it out from the net but all I have got is a headache.Hoping some of you youngsters can give me a hand.All help appreciated,thanking you in advance, Best Wishes, Mick
Hi Mick, can you please repeat the message you get when you click the links on your desktop? It was a little unclear what the message actually was. We need it to be an exact word for word copy of the message please. Thanks.
The message I get it This file doesnt have a program associated with it for performing this action.Create an association in the Set Associations control panel, Thank you
Hi mickjn

I think I have an idea what have been happening.

The guy you talked with over the phone, so you could get online. I'll nearly bet my old hat, that he made you reset Internet Explorer.
And I think that regarding certain file-associations, they got caught in the crossfire somehow.

The Icons you want to activate, rightclick those.
Choose "open with", then select "choose program".
Find Internet Explorer among those (the blue e) if that is the program you want.
Click it once, so it is high-lighted.
At the bottom at the box, theres an option that allows you to place a checkmark, so windows will
choose this action whenever it opens a similar file. Place a checkmark and click ok.


Hope this little operation will fix it for you ;)


Regards

Hi mickjn

I think I have an idea what have been happening.

The guy you talked with over the phone, so you could get online. I'll nearly bet my old hat, that he made you reset Internet Explorer.
And I think that regarding certain file-associations, they got caught in the crossfire somehow.

The Icons you want to activate, rightclick those.
Choose "open with", then select "choose program".
Find Internet Explorer among those (the blue e) if that is the program you want.
Click it once, so it is high-lighted.
At the bottom at the box, theres an option that allows you to place a checkmark, so windows will
choose this action whenever it opens a similar file. Place a checkmark and click ok.


Hope this little operation will fix it for you ;)


Regards

Sir thank you very much for your help in this matter.You were right about what the Help Desk told me and I did what you said and everything is working ok expept one thing.I have been receiving my email no problems but one that I think is a powerpoint will not open and I get the same message that I spoke about before.Once again thanks for all your help Sir,

Best Wishes,

Mick
Hi mickjn


Been a long time since I troubleshooted this kind of files. But can you rightclick it, and follow the
same procedure as with the icons, but instead of Internet Explorer, choose Windows Fax and Picture viewer?
Or possibly "MS Power Point Viewer" if installed.

Microsoft Power point Viewer (latest version) can be downloaded from here;

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details…;displaylang=en

And :thumbup: with the other "operation".


Regards


Ps.
You don't have to call me sir. Altho I recognize it as a polite gesture. But in your opening post you state that you are 60 years old,
which makes you somewhat older than me, sir :) (I am 37 by the way)
Hello. I had the same problem a short while back I went on line and downloaded giffix_ vista in order to reclaim my avatars.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI