Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 93084 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

IE7

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 bwest

bwest

• Authentic Member
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 20 February 2009 - 03:14 PM

Suddenly, I am unable to open IE after connecting to the internet via broadband connection. I have contacted my ISP and my connection is good. However, when I click on my IE icon, nothing happens. The hour glass may pop up for a second, but it then disappears. I may get the "Internet Explorer has encountered a problem and needs to close" window and the choice of sending a report or not. If I try clicking on one of the other desktop icons, google for instance, nothing happens for about 45 seconds and then a small window appears that says, "Windows cannot find 'http://www.google.com/'. I get the same thing if I try clicking on the yahoo icon. Even when I am offline, I still don't get any response when I click on the IE icon. I have tried calling Dell and their tech support put me through a battery of tests without success. One was the system restore. When I clicked on a previous date that was highlighted, it takes me to the next page which says if I want to restore to the selected date click next. I click next and wait and wait and wait. It would not restore to that date. I waited for over five minutes...nothing. Now, when I got to system restore, I cannot even get it to respond when I would click on the highlighted day. The Dell tech eventually gave up and sent me off to the upper level tech support who wanted me to pay a minimum of $125.00, so I said goodby for now. Things are tuff right now and I don't have the money. I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling IE. Same with the OS. Nothing works. I hope someone can help me out there. Oh, if you have not already figured it out, I am NOT computer savvy, so if you have any suggestions, please spell them out as plainly as possible for me. Thanks, Bill

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#2 Ztruker

Ztruker

WTT Technical Elder

• Tech Team
  • 8,292 posts
  • Interests:Helping people fix MS Windows related computer problems of all kinds.

Waking each morning to see the green side of the Earth!

Posted 20 February 2009 - 11:16 PM

Hi bwest, welcome to WTT.

Try starting IE7 without Addons: Click on Start Menu, Programs, Accessories, System Tools then Internet Explorer (No Add-ons)

If that works, click on Tools then Manage Addons and disable them a few at a time until you find the one causing the problem.

You could also try Resetting IE7 to installation defaults

Rich

Die with memories, not dreams. – Unknown

#3 bwest

bwest

• Authentic Member
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 21 February 2009 - 01:18 PM

Ok, I am using my daughter's laptop and these small keys are killing me. I clicked on something and lost my FAST REPLY. If you get something that does not make sense, that is why. So, I will try this again. Thanks for the suggestions Rich. The first one did not work. When i clicked on IE (No Add-ons) it just went back to my desktop. I clicked on IE icon and nothing happend. I did a full scan using Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware and it detected six Registry items infected with a Trojan.DNSChanger. I removed them successfully and restarted my computer. I tried clicking on the IE icon, while off-line and still got no response. I am now trying to reset IE. I scanned a diagnostics results and am trying to include it in this reply. Well, I guess I am not skilled enough to figure out how to do that even. I tried copy and paste, cut and paste, but it would not copy to this reply. If your interested, send me your email address I can send it to you. Thanks again and I will let you know if the reset works. Bill

#4 bwest

bwest

• Authentic Member
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 21 February 2009 - 01:20 PM

Here is my email address. "Edited"

Hi Bwest

I edited your post, because you posted your email address.
There are some reasons for these. Most importantly, spam-
bots scour sites like this in order to collect email addresses
to mail spam. Secondly, this is a open forum, meaning all
should benefit. Providing help over email defeats the purpose
of a open forum.

Hope we have your understanding on this.

Regards Abydos

Edited by Abydos, 21 February 2009 - 01:40 PM.

#5 bwest

bwest

• Authentic Member
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 21 February 2009 - 01:36 PM

Rich, It seems I do not have a "Reset IE settings button" under advanced settings. I followed the instructions from the MS Website link you sent, but when I click on Run it opens a box titled "Internet Properties" instead of "Internet Options". I clicked on the "Advanced" tab, but i do not see anything that says "reset Internet Explorer settings". The only thing there is and it is located at the bottom of this box above the ok, cancel and apply boxes, is "Restore Defaults". Is this the same thing? I clicked it and then restarted my computer. I tried opening IE again, but no luck. I am still having the same problem. Any more suggestions? Your help is much appreciated. Bill

#6 Ztruker

Ztruker

WTT Technical Elder

• Tech Team
  • 8,292 posts
  • Interests:Helping people fix MS Windows related computer problems of all kinds.

Waking each morning to see the green side of the Earth!

Posted 21 February 2009 - 08:16 PM

Bill, Restore Defaults sounds like the same thing.

Try entering the following (cut and past) into Start / Run: "C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe"

Include the double quotes. If that opens IE7 okay then the problem is with the link or links to IE7 and there are fixes available for that. See here: EXE-LNK fix - #12 on this page, left column. Got this from Ms. Eagle.

Rich

Die with memories, not dreams. – Unknown

#7 appleoddity

appleoddity

SuperMember

• Tech Team
  • 3,071 posts
  • Interests:Eating, Movies, Family, Church, Music, Volleyball, Softball, Poker, Computers, Electronics, Reading.

Posted 21 February 2009 - 09:47 PM

Rich, It seems I do not have a "Reset IE settings button" under advanced settings. I followed the instructions from the MS Website link you sent, but when I click on Run it opens a box titled "Internet Properties" instead of "Internet Options". I clicked on the "Advanced" tab, but i do not see anything that says "reset Internet Explorer settings". The only thing there is and it is located at the bottom of this box above the ok, cancel and apply boxes, is "Restore Defaults". Is this the same thing? I clicked it and then restarted my computer. I tried opening IE again, but no luck. I am still having the same problem. Any more suggestions? Your help is much appreciated.

Bill

You are either not running IE7 or it is only partially installed. You must be running IE7 to see the RESET option. If you are running IE6 you will only see the "Restore Defaults" option. This is NOT the same option as the "RESET" button.

The fact that you detected anything with MalwareBytes means that you should read here and post a new topic here in order to have a malware expert clear your machine of any infections. A problem with Internet Explorer is probably the most common indication you may be infected, and the MalwareBytes scan only confirms that.

The help you have been given is free. If you have been happy with our help please consider donating to support this forum.

If you would like to say thanks for the help I have given you please View My Profile and Leave a Comment.
Your encouragement is welcome.

#8 bwest

bwest

• Authentic Member
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 23 February 2009 - 11:20 AM

Thanks for the tips ztruker and appleoddity! I will give them both a try and see what happens. I'll will let you all know.