Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 93084 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

connection problems

• Please log in to reply
56 replies to this topic

#1 ed-e-dee

ed-e-dee

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 115 posts
  • Interests:collecting old watches, horse racing but not betting.<br />keeping fit , fishing off beach and swimming.

Posted 28 March 2009 - 05:37 PM

LINK

Hi Guys.

I have just been sent over here from HJT,by Oldman960 who has sepnt a lot of his time sorting out my problems.

ed-e-dee

:angry: View Member Profile
Add as Friend
Send Message
Find Member's Topics
Find Member's Posts Mar 20 2009, 09:20 AM Post #1

Authentic Member

Group: Authentic Member
Member No.: 82,508
Operating System: Windows XP pro.service pack 3.
3.06 GHz.Duel Core. Pentium 4. HD 200 GB.@7200 rpm.

Hi Guys
my comp.has gone mad again it is very slow , the mouse is dragging icons instead of opening them and will hilite a page instead of closing it
I have been having trouble with connection to IE, changed to Firefox and still have all sorts of different problems
I hope you can see if there is something in the hijack log that is a problem maker

Once again I thank you guys for your help, without you guys to help we would be on the hard stuff lol.

Win XP.pro,Pen4, 3.06GHz. 1 GB ram 200 GB HD.

I have been having a lot of trouble with IE, not connecting when I'm browsing or if downloading get Timeout message or IE cannot display the webpage

I changed to Firefox and a simaler problem occured

been in touched with my ISP ( optus ) who are pretty much useless ( sending offshore )

My modem is a Siemens Speedstream 4200 , which was the original supplied......I also have a Netgear adsl+2 modem router which I have been using
untill all this trouble started I thought this modem was hadit so went back to speedstream.

How much more can I say.

Edited by oldman960, 28 March 2009 - 07:22 PM.
TO ADD LINK

ed-e-dee

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#2 appleoddity

appleoddity

SuperMember

• Tech Team
  • 3,071 posts
  • Interests:Eating, Movies, Family, Church, Music, Volleyball, Softball, Poker, Computers, Electronics, Reading.

Posted 29 March 2009 - 03:25 PM

Is this a laptop or a desktop? Are you connected wirelessly, or hard wired?

Can you please click start -> run -> type cmd and press ENTER. At the command prompt type ipconfig /all > desktop\postme.txt and press ENTER.

Now, after the ipconfig command, please type ping yahoo.com -t >> desktop\postme.txt and press ENTER. Please let the command run for about 30 minutes. You will not see any output in the command prompt window while it is running. After about 30 minutes, press ctrl-C to terminate the command.

When you are finished, close the command prompt window, look on your desktop, and find the postme.txt file. Please attach the postme.txt file to the forum. Thank you.

Edited by appleoddity, 29 March 2009 - 03:27 PM.

The help you have been given is free. If you have been happy with our help please consider donating to support this forum.

If you would like to say thanks for the help I have given you please View My Profile and Leave a Comment.
Your encouragement is welcome.

#3 ed-e-dee

ed-e-dee

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 115 posts
  • Interests:collecting old watches, horse racing but not betting.<br />keeping fit , fishing off beach and swimming.

Posted 29 March 2009 - 07:14 PM

Hello appleoddity. couple of questions first....( 1 )...the scan I just had done was useing a 4200 speedstream modem connect with Ethernet cable. ( 2 ) I would like to put back and use my Netgear Modem Router DG834 wired, which is a ADSL 2 +.But I'm not sure if it is working properly and was the cause of most of my problems?. Your advice would be appreciated whether === do I try Netgear again which I would like too , because of it being a Router but unsure if it works properly. Attached File  Appleoddity_ed_e_dee_Postme.txt   109.15KB   288 downloads
ed-e-dee

#4 ed-e-dee

ed-e-dee

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 115 posts

Posted 29 March 2009 - 07:17 PM

Applyoddity I forgot , I'm hard wired and using a desktop. I'm also very raw with computers wearing double L plates LOL.
ed-e-dee

#5 ed-e-dee

ed-e-dee

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 115 posts

Posted 30 March 2009 - 02:42 AM

Hi appleoddity I have just reinstalled my Netgear modem and find that it takes a bit of time to open windows. can I run another scan as in the previous post.
ed-e-dee

#6 ed-e-dee

ed-e-dee

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 115 posts

Posted 01 April 2009 - 08:46 AM

I would like to get this finished asap there must be more then one tech.
ed-e-dee

#7 appleoddity

appleoddity

SuperMember

• Tech Team
  • 3,071 posts
  • Interests:Eating, Movies, Family, Church, Music, Volleyball, Softball, Poker, Computers, Electronics, Reading.

Posted 01 April 2009 - 10:15 AM

I understand. I've reviewed the information in your logs on the other thread. The test you ran showed no internet connection troubles at the time. I have one question. Are there any other computers hooked up to this internet connection? If the connection is being shared, are the other computers experiencing any difficulties? Or, have you hooked up another computer to determine if you are having any internet difficulties with them also? I'm going to assume that the problem is isolated to this computer. Your logs showed that you have Kaspersky, Trustdefender, and Windows Live Family Safety installed. All of which could be culprits in your internet connectivity trouble. If I had to point my finger, I would say the Windows Live Family Safety is whats causing your problem. You may not like what I have to say, but in order to eliminate if any of these programs are causing your problem you'll need to uninstall them. My suggestion would be that you uninstall any Windows live safety software first and see if the problem is resolved. If not, uninstall trustdefender, then see if the problem is resolved. Finally, uninstall kaspersky to see if the problem is resolved. In the meantime you can use www.avast.com to download the free Avast! Home Edition 4.8 anti-virus program to protect you while you uninstall kaspersky temporarily. The other solution is to disable all components of kaspersky for a while to see if the problem is resolved, but ultimately uninstalling it is the only way to be sure. I do feel that it is unlikely that it is kaspersky. Disabling the other products is not satisfactory for testing, because unlike kaspersky, they can be easily and safely removed for a while for diagnostic purposes. Any products that "interfere" with your network/webbrowsing are suspect. The three programs I mentioned do just that. Once you have eliminated any of them as being a culprit you can reinstall them. If you have reinstalled Kaspersky, do not continue to use Avast, and uninstall it. I have not decided what your mouse problem might be yet. I wouldn't consider troubleshooting this problem until you at least tried a different mouse.

Edited by appleoddity, 01 April 2009 - 10:19 AM.

The help you have been given is free. If you have been happy with our help please consider donating to support this forum.

If you would like to say thanks for the help I have given you please View My Profile and Leave a Comment.

#8 ed-e-dee

ed-e-dee

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 115 posts

Posted 01 April 2009 - 10:07 PM

G/day appleoddity I'm using only 1 comp on this modem, at the bottom fo your reply did you mean modem or mouse?. I removed what you asked for I thought that they were removed except Wondows live family but I think I have got it all out now You will have to bare with me as I have double L plates on LOL. installed Avast. computer is now slower then before to connect to IE and open WTT.
ed-e-dee

#9 appleoddity

appleoddity

SuperMember

• Tech Team
  • 3,071 posts

Posted 02 April 2009 - 09:43 AM

I meant mouse in my last statement. Its important that we clarify your problem. Is it when you first attempt to open a website that it is slow? For example, if you type in www.yahoo.com, or any other website, is it then that you have to wait. Then, as soon as the page starts loading it comes up quickly? Or, is it that even after your file downloads start, or the webpages are already starting to display they will fail all the sudden or be very slow? Do you have any friends or family who can plug in a laptop to your network connection to test how it performs? Or, have you already done that?

#10 ed-e-dee

ed-e-dee

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 115 posts

Posted 02 April 2009 - 04:29 PM

Hello. It slow to very slow when I type in a web site , then when I open a webpage that I have most trouble, the page could be slow that I get a timeout error or that IE cannot display the webpage, other times site will tell me that I'm not connected to internet, and a different times my modem will flash amber halfway through a seach Does any of that help , I find it to be very frustrating at times I get to the stage where I want to put my foot through the screen or throw the modem out.
ed-e-dee

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#11 appleoddity

appleoddity

SuperMember

• Tech Team
  • 3,071 posts

Posted 02 April 2009 - 05:02 PM

Well... The fact that the lights on the modem are changing pretty much seals the deal that its a problem you need to approach your internet provider about. Could be a bad modem, a bad line, noisy line, etc... I did notice that your round trip times are fairly high compared to what is usual here in the US. But I chaulked that up to your location seems how you are probably pinging a US server. They were stable, and there were no lost packets so that would suggest that your connection was working just find at the time. However, perhaps running the previous ping test again would help. Run it while you are using the internet and wait until the internet acts up, then after a few minutes shut it down. You can upload the resulting .txt file as an attachment to the forum, please DO NOT copy and paste the file to the forum as you did previously. Something like that grows in size quick and is mostly irrelevant information. Also, when running the ping test. You could use a different website. Instead of using ping yahoo.com you could change yahoo.com with some of those sites that aren't working well. Is it always the same sites, while others work normally? Or is it the whole thing in general that has problems?

#12 ed-e-dee

ed-e-dee

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 115 posts

Posted 02 April 2009 - 06:29 PM

Attached File  postme.txt   1.14KB   380 downloads Hi appleoddity. I'm using an optical mouse and wireless keyboard. wired modem Netgear DG834 v3 router which I have just changd back too. when using the Optus isp supplied modem a Siemens Speedstream 4200 it made no difference this one also had flashing lights. no its not always the same site that I have problems with, any site is will play up. A few weeks ago I rang my isp about this problem, unfortunatly tech support here is offshore India which makes it very hard to converse with broken english very frustrating one day I was on the phone to them for 40 min, only to be told to put an extra filter on my line yah right.
ed-e-dee

#13 appleoddity

appleoddity

SuperMember

• Tech Team
  • 3,071 posts

Posted 02 April 2009 - 07:36 PM

optusnet.com.au-t is not a valid address.. Try running the test again with a valid address. You'll have to put a space between optusnet.com.au and the -t

#14 ed-e-dee

ed-e-dee

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 115 posts

Posted 02 April 2009 - 09:22 PM

Attached File  postme.txt   112.57KB   319 downloads I hope I have done it right this time
ed-e-dee

#15 DanielD

DanielD

Silver Member

• Visiting Tech
  • PipPipPip
  • 342 posts

Posted 02 April 2009 - 09:54 PM

About the NetGear modem, I found a topic with someone who had a similar problem and was able to find a fix.

http://forums.whirlp...cfm/578420.html

Before trying what that user did I would let appleoddity check it first to make sure it applies to this situation as I am not sure myself if it is dealing with the same problem, but it sounds like it's worth a try if he clears it. However, if you are having the same problem with both of your modems, it is more likely the computer itself rather than the modems or their settings.

Also, this problem is only while browsing the internet correct? Right here...

my comp.has gone mad again it is very slow , the mouse is dragging icons instead of opening them and will hilite a page instead of closing it

You make it sound more like your computer in general is acting very slow. Has this cleared up and now all that remains is the internet problem, or is there more too it than that?

Also, can you try either of these tests?
1) Use the same modem and internet connection but with a different computer
2) If it is a laptop, or if you can move it, try connecting to internet somewhere else, such as a friends house or in a public place with wireless internet (library, starbux)

Edited by Vectris, 02 April 2009 - 09:55 PM.

The internet's most useful tool, Google.

"Life's like a game of Poker, sometimes you win, sometimes you lose" - Garfield