This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Windows having trouble shutting down.

2 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

I have Windows Pro and whenever I try to shut down it proceeds in doing so but always gets stuck at the screen where it says,"Windows is shutting down…", and this happens every other time I do it. It's been happening ever since the Genuine Advantage notices have been popping up on the bottom right corner of my screen( and no, I am not paying an extra hundred dollars just to get rid of that).

It's been happening ever since the Genuine Advantage notices have been popping up on the bottom right corner of my screen( and no, I am not paying an extra hundred dollars just to get rid of that).


Pay a couple extra hundred dollars for what?

Could you explain that further, before I jump to the conclusion, that you are using a cracked version of windows.
Just to get it validated. Cause the last time I checked it costed around a hundred bucks I think. I bought this comp. originally from my cousin about 4 years ago but he never gave me the Windows CD along with it. And later I had to get it reformated so someone else burned a copy of his so I could do it. Everything seemed legit until 2 1/2 years after my purchase and notices started popping up everywhere.
Hi OmegaUltimate, You are correct that your current situation with Windows is likely to cost you money to resolve. You may have paid your cousin $$ for a running machine, but he apparently did not pass the money along to provide a legitimate copy of the operating system, or perhaps has since attempted to activate the same copy on another machine(s). Or if you cousin did handle things correctly, the more recent installation of a fresh (burned from a friends CD) copy of Windows has failed to authenticate. I suppose I would ask for help from the cousin before giving up and buying a new Windows OS, but it doesn't sound hopeful. You might also take note that persistent use of peer-to-peer software and file sharing is likely to bring you even more grief, as demonstrated by (10) ten visits to our Malware Removal Forum since August 2007. Legitimate MS operating system can be expensive, but with WGA and patches, may save you much grief in the long run. Best Regards
Is it a name brand machine? Or a custom built computer? Take a look on the computer for the Windows Certificate of Authenticity which contains the product key of a legitimate operating system if it was ever attached to the computer like it was legally supposed to be. If you have that sticker you DO have a legitimate O/S, but you're going to need to the disc to match that version, and you're going to have to reload your O/S if you are using a different version of Windows than what the sticker has a license for. If you don't have that sticker, and this is not a name brand machine, then you are out of options.
Yeah, they comp. itself is totally legit but the O/S it was meant for(XP Home) doesn't match the current one I'm using(Burned XP Pro).
The question is, do you have the product key for the legitimate windows XP home that it was made for? And, is this a name brand machine or not?

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI