This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Windows XP Shutdown Problem

4 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Hello,

I have a problem with Windows XP not shutting down properly.
A program called "SAMPLE" will not end properly. :angry:
Does anyone know how to correct this?

Thanks, Marty :)
Hi MARTY1946. Can you provide more info on this "SAMPLE" program? Do you know what software it's associated with? When did this start occurring? What software did you install around that time? If you can remember what it was, uninstall it and see if the problem goes away. If yes, then contact the provider of the software for a solution.
Hi Programs that hangs, often leaves a message behind in the event viewer, have you tried looked there for further info regarding which program might cause the hang? Regards Abydos
Hello Abydos, :)

Thank you for you input.
I looked in event log as advised, and found some problems.
Found a reference to ID 1517.
I'm looking into Microsoft Knowledge Base articles.
Will let you know what if anything I can find.

Thanks, Again

Marty ^_^
Hi Marty Sounds fine :thumbup: What I could see, with a quick view on google, theres some good references to that particular ID number. If you need any further help with it, just post. Regards Abydos
Here is the description of Microsoft of the 1517 Event:

Windows unloads each user's profile and user's section of the registry when the user logs off. This message indicates that Windows could not unload the user's profile because a program was referencing the user's section of the registry. This locked the profile. The registry cannot unload profiles that are locked and in use. When the program that is locking the profile is no longer referencing the registry, the profile will be unloaded.

Can you find the name of the process this SAMPLE program is using?
Hello again, Abydos

In event viewer:
Windows Operating System
ID: 1002
Source: Application Hang
Version: 5.2
Symbolic Name: ER_HANG_LOG
Message: Hanging application %1, version %2, hang module %3, version %4, hang address 0x%5.

I can't really pin down this SAMPLE hanging at shut down.
Any ideas?

Thanks, Marty
Hi Marty :)

Hello again, Abydos

In event viewer:
Windows Operating System
ID: 1002
Source: Application Hang
Version: 5.2
Symbolic Name: ER_HANG_LOG
Message: Hanging application %1, version %2, hang module %3, version %4, hang address 0x%5.


http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc726889.aspx

I can't really pin down this SAMPLE hanging at shut down.
Any ideas?


What connection are you on, wireless or cable?
Refering to the above link, it might be your driver
for your Network card. You could try use windows
own network driver, and see how it goes.

Regards Abydos
Hi Abydos; :)

I am using cable connection with Ethernet.
Adapter is INTEL PRO/100VE

I was trying to load and setup a Blackberry Storm connection to my machine,
that i bought for my daughter called Desktop Manager 4.7 from RIM.
Will not load correctly, seems to be a problem with something stopping the setup.
Tried to do it in safe mode, but it would not load, because of Admin. Privileges.
I don't understand this at all.
Trying to get help on that issue also.
This is the only wireless device that was ever connected to my machine.

Thanks Marty
:angry:
Rich,

Thank You for the advice.
I did what you suggested.
It worked! No more "sample" hanging on shutdown :thumbup:

Do you have any suggestions for the Blackberry problem?

Thanks Again,
Marty
Try disabling your anti-virus and firewall. If you have any other anti-stuff running, disable it also. Don't leave it disabled for long though unless you're behind a hardware firewall like a router. Are you using Spybot Search & Destroy's Teatimer? If so, disable it. Any other anti=spam or blockers?
Hello again Abydos :)

I can’t get the RIM USB drivers to load.
The blackberry shows up in other devices with no drivers installed.
The drivers show up in the PORTS settings as Rim virtual serial port V2 (COM 4& COM 5.
Nothing in the USB settings point to the blackberry.
I did get the RIM Desktop Manager 4.7 to load correctly.
When you plug the BB in, it not recognized.
This is driving me nuts. :angry:
Any help would be great.

Thanks again, Marty :angry:
Hello Marty,

Try this small handy tool to check your USB devices currently connected to your computer. DriverMax may also help regarding drivers that may need updating only if you are having problems with them.

Keep us posted on your progress.

Best regards,

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI