This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

New Member

3 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Hello I am a networking engineer for the last 27 years. Used to do the old protocols like bisync, x.25, moved into frame relay and ATM. Cisco CCNA, Nortel certified, currently working for Motorola on the Enterprise Mobility Team. I am a so so computer nerd but I want to extend my computer knowledge, I want to really understand whats going on in the system when I see strange errors, etc. I was researching why my computer turns itself on when I found this page. Looking for a good computer nerd to lead me along and expand my skills. Which is probably pretty poor compared to you guys. I have been thinking in enrolling in the certified hacking class, they actually have a certificate for that, I think it would help me to understand the PC processes better. I have hired norton to poke around in my pc and fix things. I don't mind paying for good solid information, but they don't teach you anything. Don't give me a fish, teach me to fish! Any good techs for hire? Ken aka abacus1111
Hi Ken,

"Hacking" though a scary reference that most often is associated with bad-guy activity, is in fact a term of pride carried by advanced and knowledgeable computer experts. In its "favorable" frame of reference, "Hacking" is not exclusively related to gaining access to computers, networks, or information that the ordinary user is not supposed to be able to obtain. As in "hacking into a website to steal addresses and credit card information" <– that's bad stuff.

A "Hacker" may be expert at modifying the firmware of a local Router to cause it to perform at better efficiency, port forward to join online activities and the like. Another "hacker" may be expert at "hacking" (re-writing and removing bloated unnecessary computer code lines) software code to develop prompter response time, more powerful and specific manipulation of data, image components, encoding of video/audio media, etc. The list would go on and on, for every special area of computing…. there are those who consider themselves to be "hackers" in their specialty.

Seems like your are inquiring about the basic and general operation of your machine, and perhaps other machines that you work with. Since you have work experience in Networking, I would be surprised if you don't already have advanced certification.
Probably the "entry level" certification is known as A+ certification and can be obtained in a couple of years at a local community college. There are some "online" A+ cert programs, but I think you would be better off seeking a brick and mortar academic setting.

You are certainly welcome to ask whatever questions you may have about your machine.
We do not provide assistance to commercial enterprises (businesses) that ought to have their own IT department.
But we know that even many businesses run into situations when they need to call upon other knowledgeable folks to investigate and solve some obscure problem. We won't "slam the door" on you. But please be specific when your question may be related to a commercial enterprise.

As to why your machine turns itself on………

You probably have your BIOS/CMOS set to "Wake on LAN" ???? maybe?

Tell us more about your machine and the functions that you wish to learn about.
This post may help you in organizing how you ask your questions:
http://forums.whatthetech.com/index.php?act=SR&f=119

I'm going to move your Topic over to the Windows Forum, just for starters, until we get a better idea of what you seek.

Best Regards

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI