This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
What the Tech Community

Hello Everyone

4 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Hi, My name is Larry. I am (obviously) new here. I am a veteran of the PC Pitstop forums, and they directed me here. I am retired US Army, currently working as a SysAdmin for a defense contractor. I am an MCSE and CCNA, and some other initials you may be able to guess at. I am interested in networking, and anti-malware. I will be taking the anti malware classes here on the site. Thanks for reading this. Hopw to get to know you more!
[external image: Posted Image] Lmarcus,

We hope you enjoy it here.

I am an MCSE and CCNA, and some other initials you may be able to guess at.

As on PCPitstop, we have folk from all over, so I am one that is not au fait with your abbreviations. In fact I never abbreviate in posts when helping folk…they may not understand if I did.

You can apply here to join the Malware Classes if you like.

Have a browse around as there is lots to read and learn, perhaps you may like to assist also if posts are within your expertise.

kind regards,

Edit to correct spelling of au fait. :thumbup:
Glad to have you here Larry! :thumbup: @tallin: MCSE = Microsoft Certified Systems Engineer CCNA = Cisco Certified Network Associate MCSE + CCNA = Certified Geek. :rofl: Now, of-fey = familiar?? conversant about??? :unsure:
Hi :wavey:

:welcome:

Larry.

Hope you enjoy, and welcome onboard.


@Tallin

I couldn't find anything on of-fey either, but…..
If you remove the dash: of fey
They begin to give meaning.

Fey

Regards Abydos
Hello and Welcome to WhattheTech? Forums. ^_^

With those qualifications under your belt, you would make a great Malware expert. Hope to see you in the classes sometime soon.

Oh and I couldn't find the meaning of of-fey either? Is it a foreign word or perhaps a slang?

– Mohit
TomK, Abydos, and Mohit,

Today I dug a deeper hole for myself to investigate of-fey a little further! A relative who is a teacher at University level wrote back in answer to my query as to me using of-fey in post #2:

  • The hyphenated form of-fey looks to me like two forms cobbled together, to be taken one at a time.
  • As for "fey", it reminds me of French "fée" meaning "fairy". There are cognates (similar forms of common origin) in other languages, so the idea of "fey" might mean something relating to fairies, magic, other-worldliness etc.
  • The form "of" might simply meaning English "of", or Irish "o'" as in O'Reilly etc.
  • All the above might simply be etymological gobbledygook, and the form "of-fey" might be simply tech-speak from the IT age.
Can't contirbute more than that I'm afraid. I'd be interested to know if you get any further with this.

So there you go, I have used/been using a word that does not exist in the English language. :blush:
Even Wordweb has not heard of it!

Now we are all up to date on this.
Cheers,
tallin,

I have used/been using a word that does not exist in the English language.

Still interesting though. I'm not even sure that the above statement is completely true. It's obviously a word/expression that you use. You must have seen or heard it somewhere so it is used by others. Therefore, in some sense, it does exist. It's just a little hard to find the definition if you're not familiar with it. I was just curious as to it's meaning. As far as I'm concerned, If I know what it means, then it exists.

Example: I'm a contractor. At the end of any project, the Architect/Engineer/Owner punches out the project. From this inspection, a punchlist is created. Punching out a project and the making of a punchlist are perfectly acceptable and common used terms. They are used by hundreds of people daily for decade. They don't appear in standard dictionaries. Just a few years ago, it was tough to find reference to them by googling. They do exist.
By the way, googling is another such word. It gets used alot, but it technically doesn't exist.

Thanks for all the good research. Have a great day!
TomK.

Update: Au fait as it is spelt had to be somewhere, and it is. Thanks to my relative mentioned in my earlier post.

There is indeed such a word, but the spelling is "au fait". It is French, but also borrowed into English!!

Persistence in the end paid off in this case.
Strange no french speaking members or guests read this thread…never mind all sorted now.

kind regards,

Attachments:

tallin, I knew if it could be researched, you'd find it. :notworthy: Funny, I think I've seen that phrase before in books. Didn't have a clue how it's pronounced. It's amazing what we can learn here. :thumbup:
@ TomK,

I am lucky I have a relative that speaks 6 languages, one of them French. I emailed back to say I was sure there was such a word, giving the meaning of it as I understood it……..Immediately I got the reply as posted in my last post in this thread. :wavey:

Good start to the day for me, it is now only 5.17am on Monday which is Australia Day here, one of our biggest days of the year to celebrate the beginning of our nation.

Yes, great forum, so much to learn.

Best regards,