Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 91911 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

Mystery restrictions on opening links

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 ozyank

ozyank

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 14 May 2009 - 11:21 PM

Hi- Would really appreciate some help on his irritating problem: Windows XP Pro, default browser Firefox 3.0.10, secondary browser IE 8,; Outlook 2003; I have administrative rights (However, I do use DropMyRights for Internet-facing programs). When I click on a link in browsers, Outlook or other Aps I get refusal of action messages: "Unable to locate web browser for requested URL"--Firfox "This operation has been cancelled due to restrictions in effect on this computer. Please contact your system administrator"--Outlook. "Update restrictions on computer." --Secunia (program update application). This problem just recently started (not too long after I updated IE with v.8 ) I have tried the advice given in an earlier posting on tghe forum thread (Folder options>file types> edit URL:HyperText Transfer Protocol to "C:\PROGRAM FILES\INTERNET EXPLORER\iexplore.exe" -nohome . But the same problem still is there. Thanks for any help you can give me. Bill

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#2 Tallon41

Tallon41

Silver Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 281 posts
  • Interests:Bible<br />Sci-fi <br />PC tech.

Posted 15 May 2009 - 10:54 AM

Have you eliminated Zone Alarm as a possible source of the problem by disabling-it and trying ?

#3 ozyank

ozyank

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 15 May 2009 - 04:13 PM

Thanks for your post. I don't think Zone Alarm was the problem, but it often is when there are refusal problems. But I've had Zone Alarm Pro for years and this problem had never cropped up before. In any case, the problem seems to have corrected itself because I now can click on links in Outlook, Firefox and other aps and they take me directly to the site. Or, I may have corrected the problem when I noticed that Firefox was no longer checked as my default browser (as it had been for several years). Something happened that left me with no default browser. Thanks again :)