This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

laptop unable to connect to the internet after holiday

2 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Good evening,

I went away on holiday last week and brought my laptop away with me to do some work. The cottage i stayed in was beautiful but in a remote part of the Yorkshire dales so no chance of internet connection. Which was fine as I was just working on documents that were saved onto my laptop.

However, since coming home my laptop is no longer connecting to my home WiFi. When I try to connect by clicking on my WiFi icon on the network and internet settings menu, it says 'unable to connect to this network'

Really weird. My theory is that, while I had it switched on on holiday, it was constantly trying, but failing, to connect to the internet. This might have worn out part of the computer, the part I need to connect to the internet. Does this sound plausible? And easily solvable? Like by installing new software or drivers, for example? Or could it just spell the end of the laptop's life?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

What is the make and full model number of the laptop. Check to make sure the WiFi isn't turned off, either via a switch or a Fn key.

 

What OS?

What does Device Manager look like, any yellow marks?

Hiztruker

Many thanks for getting back so quickly.

It's an Asus x55a running windows 10. Fn f2 is the wireless switch and yes it is switched on.

Have looked at the device manager list and there are no yellow marks.

When you click on the WiFi icon, you should see something like this:

 

📎WiFi.jpg

 

Is WiFi highlighted, not Airplane mode or Mobile Hotspot?

 

If not, click on it. If yes, open Device Manager, expand Network Connections then right click on your WiFi device and select Uninstall. Reboot and let Windows 10 reinstall the driver, See if that makes a difference.

Yes, the WiFi square is lit blue. In device manager I have network adapters, not network connections. Could this be the same thing? When I expand network adapters the first thing listed is '802.11n Wireless LAN Card.' Is this the right thing to uninstall?

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI