This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Hardware

Wireless Network Connection problems

10 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Recently, my laptop seems to be unable to go onto the internet although the icon on the system tray shows that I'm connected and signal strength is excellent.
Hi lxl,

Have you right clicked on the icon and attempted to use the repair option?

Has this happened since your last assistance in the HJT forum with Ken545?

Let us know.

kind regards,
I have tried using the repair option before but it says cannot find page when i open the browser and visited sites other than my homepage. Last time when Ken helped me the connection was just unstable and disconnects frequently but I could still go on the internet sometimes. Thanks for your reply.
When you right click on the icon in the Systems Tray near the clock, you should only get three options that will help you at this stage, and they are
  • Disable
  • Status
  • Repair
There are also two others

  • Change Windows Firewall connection
  • Open Network connections
But at this stage they do not apply here. Please just click the Repair option, the third of the above three at the top in red.

Keep us posted thanks…

kind regards,
Tallin, Sorry for my wording on my last post. I meant that I have already tried repair. Even after clicking on repair, I still couldn't get onto the internet. Thanks
By the way, my problem seems to be similar to dave34's post. I have tried updating my driver and the wireless connection now shows (peer-peer).
Hi lxl,

You mention Dave34 link. I looked it up to see what you were referring to. You have been cleared of Malware so I am stumped what could be causing your inability to connect to the internet. Have you tried googling you specific problem.

Perhaps you could give us more information following the second link in my signature. Modem type, dial-up, broadband, etc so we can assist you further.

kind regards,
Hi lxl. Do you let Windows manage your wireless connection or are you using some other software? Open Network Connections. Right click on Wireless Network Connection, select Properties. Click the Wireless Networks tab and check the "Use Windows to configure my wireless network settings" box. Click OK. Shutdown and reboot to have this take effect.
Tallin: I don't think it's a problem with the modem since I could use the modem to go online with my other computer. My network adapter is Intel® PRO/Wireless 2200BG. Ztruker: In the Wireless Network Connection Properties, I could only find general and advanced tabs but no Wireless Networks tab. Thanks for your replies.
Hello,
In post # 1 you state that you have good signal.
Please,
  • Open the control panel.
  • Select Internet options.
  • Select connections.
  • Select LAN.
  • Check automatically detect settings.
Check in Services and make sure Wireless Zero Configuration is running and is set to Automatic.

Click on Start then Run, enter services.msc and press Enter to open the Services dialog. Double click on Wireless Zero Configuration, set the Startup type to Automatic and click on the Start button.

Now go back and see if you can set Windows to mange the wireless connection.
I did both of the instructions above but didn't seem to help. I can set Windows to manage the wireless connection now but the page still shows "address not found" when I browse sites. Thanks
Try the following:

Click on Start then Run, type cmd and press Enter to open a command prompt.

To reset WINSOCK entries to installation defaults: type netsh winsock reset catalog and press Enter

Reset TCP/IP stack to installation defaults. type netsh int ip reset reset.log and press Enter

Taken from: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?…kb;en-us;299357

If that doesn't fix it, download Dial-a-fix (DAF). Unzip it, open the folder it creates and double click on Dial-a-fix.exe. In the DAF window, click on the hammer at the bottom to open the Tools window. Scroll down and select Reset Networking Interfaces then click on the Go button.

See if that helps. If not, one more fix to try, download and run Winsockfix.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI