Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 93081 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

Firefox problem

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 sinnead

sinnead

Silver Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 316 posts

Posted 18 April 2009 - 06:21 PM

I installed and ran an update for Adobe Shockwave. Firefox had worked just prior to installation. I tried to open Firefox following the adobe update, and recieved the message "Firefox is already running. To open a new window you must first close the existing Firefox process, or restart your system." I closed Firefox prior to running the Adobe update originally. So I restarted the computer, and got the same message again. Since Firefox had worked just prior, I tried uninstalling Adobe Shockwave, but am still getting the same message. Any ideas what I can do? Thanks!

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#2 Mohit

Mohit

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 178 posts
  • Interests:Computers, Science Fiction

Posted 18 April 2009 - 09:14 PM

Hello Sinnead. There are a few things you might want to try. If those don't work, Here is an alternate solution.

Hope that helps. :)

-- Mohit

#3 sinnead

sinnead

Silver Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 316 posts

Posted 18 April 2009 - 11:09 PM

Well, I tried everything with the first one. Neither waiting nor restarting work, so I tried the one with Task Manager, but it doesn't show Firefox.exe at all. Then tried deleting parent.lock.parentlock, but got the message about "Cannot delete parent. The file or directory is corrupt or unreadable", so I ran the "Chkdsk", but unsure what it means about having something like Onyx or Maintain to turn on visibility to show parentlock., or about selecting View menu in File Browser Window. So I decided to try going to the profile to make sure "read only" wasn't checked. It was, so I unchecked it, and clicked apply, then ok, but when I double checked, it has "read only" checked again. Unfortunately, in the second selection, I have no idea how to "change directories" while in command prompt, sorry!

Edited by sinnead, 19 April 2009 - 08:32 AM.

#4 sinnead

sinnead

Silver Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 316 posts

Posted 19 April 2009 - 08:14 AM

I'd had a problem previously with Firefox- not the same type of problem- and reloading it on top of itself, as it were, cleared it up. Would that work here, or do I need to create a new profile?

#5 Ztruker

Ztruker

WTT Technical Elder

• Tech Team
  • 8,292 posts
  • Interests:Helping people fix MS Windows related computer problems of all kinds.

Waking each morning to see the green side of the Earth!

Posted 19 April 2009 - 08:14 PM

Sinnead, for the second link about using Command Prompt, to change directories, start a Command Prompt then enter

cd \program files\mozilla firefox

then enter

firefox.exe -profilemanager

Once you create a new Profile, if FireFox starts okay then you can copy data from your old Firefox id to the new one. See here for directions: http://kb.mozillazin...ofile_-_Firefox

Rich

Die with memories, not dreams. – Unknown

#6 sinnead

sinnead

Silver Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 316 posts

Posted 20 April 2009 - 11:04 AM

Thanks, it worked! Only problem is that I can't delete my old profile. I tried, and because the parentlock is corrupted, it's say's it can't read it to delete(?). Is it going to be a problem leaving it there?

#7 Ztruker

Ztruker

WTT Technical Elder

• Tech Team
  • 8,292 posts
  • Interests:Helping people fix MS Windows related computer problems of all kinds.

Posted 20 April 2009 - 12:38 PM

Can you delete parent.lock if you boot to Safe Mode? It should be in:

C:\Documents and Settings\youruserid\Application Data\Mozilla\Profiles\YourFirefoxaccountname\xxxxxxxx.slt

youruserid is the id you logon to XP with
YourFirefoxaccountname is your FireFox account name
xxxxxxxx.slt is the random generated folder name under Profiles.

Rich

#8 sinnead

sinnead

Silver Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 316 posts

Posted 21 April 2009 - 04:58 PM

One minor problem- not a clue what you mean :lol: I truly don't know how to find "Documents and Settings", nor how to boot into safe mode. The last time I tried that, I was on a page that said nothing about "Safe Mode". Yeah, I know- truly illiterate. Sorry!

#9 Abydos

Abydos

WTT Tech Emeritus

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,736 posts

Posted 21 April 2009 - 05:13 PM

Hi sinnead :wavey:

Restart your PC. When you get to the BIOS screen (the one with PC logo on)
Start tapping F8

This will get you to the "Windows Advanced options menu" if you caught it right.
which is a black DOS-like screen. Use your arrow keys to navigate to safe-mode
option, press enter.

Enter your C drive.

Follow Ztrukers folder path, or in case yours is set up as mine, with no logon, use this path:

C:\Application data\Mozilla\Profiles\YourFirefoxaccountname\xxxxxxxx.slt

If you have further questions or something your unsure of, please ask away.

Yeah, I know- truly illiterate. Sorry!

No such thing. Our field of knowledge is just different from yours. Which is why we are here
to help ;)

Regards

Edited by Abydos, 21 April 2009 - 05:13 PM.

Abydos

Asking for Technical Help

Preventing Malware Slow PC? Recovery Console!

"I am not young enough to know everything" - Oscar Wilde

#10 sinnead

sinnead

Silver Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 316 posts

Posted 26 April 2009 - 02:53 PM

Sorry it took me a few days to get back to you! I've tried going in through "Safe Mode", and no luck whatsoever! Will it cause a problem to leave the old profile where it is? If not, then I'm not going to worry about it.

#11 Ztruker

Ztruker

WTT Technical Elder

• Tech Team
  • 8,292 posts

Posted 26 April 2009 - 07:47 PM

No, leaving the old profile will not cause a problem. It just uses up some hard drive space.

Rich

#12 sinnead

sinnead

Silver Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 316 posts

Posted 27 April 2009 - 07:40 AM

When I last checked, I had something like 80% of space left, so I guess I won't worry. Thanks for all the help, though! :)