I installed and ran an update for Adobe Shockwave. Firefox had worked just prior to installation. I tried to open Firefox following the adobe update, and recieved the message "Firefox is already running. To open a new window you must first close the existing Firefox process, or restart your system."
I closed Firefox prior to running the Adobe update originally. So I restarted the computer, and got the same message again. Since Firefox had worked just prior, I tried uninstalling Adobe Shockwave, but am still getting the same message. Any ideas what I can do? Thanks!
Well, I tried everything with the first one. Neither waiting nor restarting work, so I tried the one with Task Manager, but it doesn't show Firefox.exe at all. Then tried deleting parent.lock.parentlock, but got the message about "Cannot delete parent. The file or directory is corrupt or unreadable", so I ran the "Chkdsk", but unsure what it means about having something like Onyx or Maintain to turn on visibility to show parentlock., or about selecting View menu in File Browser Window.
So I decided to try going to the profile to make sure "read only" wasn't checked. It was, so I unchecked it, and clicked apply, then ok, but when I double checked, it has "read only" checked again.
Unfortunately, in the second selection, I have no idea how to "change directories" while in command prompt, sorry!
I'd had a problem previously with Firefox- not the same type of problem- and reloading it on top of itself, as it were, cleared it up. Would that work here, or do I need to create a new profile?
Thanks, it worked! Only problem is that I can't delete my old profile. I tried, and because the parentlock is corrupted, it's say's it can't read it to delete(?). Is it going to be a problem leaving it there?
Can you delete parent.lock if you boot to Safe Mode? It should be in:
C:\Documents and Settings\youruserid\Application Data\Mozilla\Profiles\YourFirefoxaccountname\xxxxxxxx.slt
youruserid is the id you logon to XP with YourFirefoxaccountname is your FireFox account name xxxxxxxx.slt is the random generated folder name under Profiles.
One minor problem- not a clue what you mean I truly don't know how to find "Documents and Settings", nor how to boot into safe mode. The last time I tried that, I was on a page that said nothing about "Safe Mode".
Yeah, I know- truly illiterate. Sorry!
Restart your PC. When you get to the BIOS screen (the one with PC logo on)
Start tapping F8
This will get you to the "Windows Advanced options menu" if you caught it right.
which is a black DOS-like screen. Use your arrow keys to navigate to safe-mode
option, press enter.
Enter your C drive.
Follow Ztrukers folder path, or in case yours is set up as mine, with no logon, use this path:
Sorry it took me a few days to get back to you! I've tried going in through "Safe Mode", and no luck whatsoever! Will it cause a problem to leave the old profile where it is? If not, then I'm not going to worry about it.