Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 93083 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

Firefox will not open

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 stuvvx

stuvvx

• Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Interests: Sticky-icky-kushmir-

Posted 06 November 2006 - 05:16 PM

Hi I have used Firefox as my browser from the start.I Love the way it glides over the web.Several weeks ago I moved up to Firefox2.0.Thats when my trouble began.Firefox2.0 would not open.I un-install and then re-install.A caption opened and stated the download had to stop Firefox was still running.I open up Task Manager and stopped it.I am up to date on everything.I have no virus or adware.The one thing I really enjoy was surfing the web.I am forced to use Microsort Explorer.I don't know what to do. stuvvx :(

Edited by stuvvx, 06 November 2006 - 05:18 PM.

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#2 Doug

Doug

Retired Administrator -Tech Team

• Tech Team
  • 10,057 posts

Posted 06 November 2006 - 06:20 PM

stuvvx,

Take a look here for notes and installation instructions:
http://www.mozilla.c...0/releasenotes/

If installation continues to hang, you may benefit from first uninstalling your previous version of FireFox using Control Panel - Add/Remove.

You should be able to Uninstall and Reinstall Firefox 2.0 without losing your bookmarks, but some add-ons have not yet been written for version 2.0, so some of the added functionality may be missing for a while but will gradually become available with updates and patches.

Best Regards
The help you receive here is free.
If you wish, you may Donate to help keep us online.

#3 stuvvx

stuvvx

• Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Interests: Sticky-icky-kushmir-

Posted 08 November 2006 - 03:26 PM

Hi Thanks "dough" but I tried going to control panel and un/install before posting.When I look in control panel Firefox is not in their. Regards stuvvx

#4 Doug

Doug

Retired Administrator -Tech Team

• Tech Team
  • 10,057 posts

Posted 08 November 2006 - 05:09 PM

Please note that most here believe that FireFox is an excellent alternative browser.
Therefore any assistance with "uninstalling Firefox" should not be construed as a negative recommendations of the product.

as to your immediate problem:
We've gone through similar difficulties with FireFox - installation and uninstallation.
Unfortunately, we've not struck upon an excellent solution as yet.

this is from Mozilla:http://www.mozilla.org/support/firefox/faq#uninstall

How do I uninstall Firefox?
If you installed Firefox using the installer for Windows, just uninstall it using the Add or Remove Programs applet in the Windows Control Panel.

If you installed Firefox using the compressed archives, just remove the folder you unzipped it to. Optionally, remove the profile folder, which contains all your bookmarks and settings.

Note: FireFox does not/did not require "windows installer" to install FireFox.
It can be installed simply by "unzipping" it into C:\Program Files\Mozilla\Firefox
Therefore, You "may" not find it in Control Panel - Add/Remove
If you don't, you can follow these instructions below: (from): http://kb.mozillazin...refox_uninstall

On Windows
Open the Windows Control Panel and double-click Add/Remove Programs. Select Mozilla Firefox (<version>) in the list and click "Remove" to run the uninstaller. Even if this first step fails, as it may in some cases, continue on with the rest of the uninstall instructions.
Delete the Firefox Installation directory, located here, by default: C:\Program files\Mozilla Firefox
If you installed the Quality Feedback Agent component (aka Talkback), open the %APPDATA%\Talkback\MozillaOrg\ folder and delete all "Firefox<somenumber>" folders found, for example, "Firefox10" "Firefox15" and "Firefox2".
Firefox 1.5 and later: Delete the "Firefox" folder containing the profile "cache" folder and "XUL.mfl" file, located here: %USERPROFILE%\Local Settings\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox
If necessary, remove the "Mozilla Firefox" shortcuts in the Windows Start -> Programs menu by right-clicking and deleting the entries. (This step should not be needed unless the Add/Remove Programs uninstaller in the first step failed.)
The Firefox uninstall will leave behind some Windows registry entries, which can be cleaned up using Windows regedit or a 3rd party registry cleaner. Note: registry editing is a potentially hazardous undertaking!.

You may also need to manually change some file associations or icons in Folder Options -> Filetypes even after setting a new default browser, as reported here.

[edit]Removing user profile data
This step is recommended for users who are uninstalling Firefox in preparation for a "clean reinstall". This will remove the Firefox user profile data, which includes bookmarks, passwords, cookies, preference settings and added extensions. Back up your profile data so that you can restore it later, if you wish, then delete the entire "Firefox" folder (which will include the "Profiles" subfolder and the files "profiles.ini" and "pluginreg.dat") from the Firefox profiles location.

Note: FireFox profile data contains your history and preferences. You can leave it on your system in most cases and still remove your old version of FireFox and add FireFox 2.0

Please keep us posted with your progress, as your experience will most likely help others.

Best Regards
The help you receive here is free.
If you wish, you may Donate to help keep us online.