This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Hardware

HDD not detected

8 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

I did find a setting under Integrated Peripherals:

OnChip IDE Controller
This setting controls the onboard IDE controller. Setting options: Disabled,
Primary, Secondary, Both.

Default should be Both

Hi Troutman,

I was just reading your manual again to see if Troy's idea regarding an IDE switch was relevant on this board and I cannot find such a "switch".

Anyway glad the BIOS is well.

Do you have the jumpers at Master / slave or are they Cable Select? If one or the other you might try the other option just to test.

Anyway It appears now that the channel is OK at least.

There are some other BIOS options you might look at under: PNP/PCI Configurations. But again all should be Default as far as I can see.

Let us know about the jumpers.


I had the HDD jumpers on master so I swaped to cable detect but it made no difference.

In PNP/PCI config the PCI IDE busmaster was set on disable so I've enabled that everything else there seems ok

I started to load the OS and all seemed to be loading but then it said it couldn't find the hard drive!!

Its got to be the HDD, the fact that it picked up the cd-rom and not the HDD makes me think its that

What do you think?
Did you see this:

I did find a setting under Integrated Peripherals:

OnChip IDE Controller
This setting controls the onboard IDE controller. Setting options: Disabled,
Primary, Secondary, Both.

Default should be Both


The PCI Bus Master would only apply to a PCI IDE card.

With the DVD/CD working it does indicate the IDE is not a current issue.

You could run the manufacturers diagnostic for the hard drive which would be a boot disk. Either floppy or CD.

If the BIOS does not detect I doubt the diagnostic would either but you could try it.

The diagnostic would be available on the manufacturers web site.

I had the HDD jumpers on master so I swaped to cable detect but it made no difference.

Hi again, jumpers? How many hard drives do you have? How many jumpers are on each drive?

Just to confirm.

Troy

I had the HDD jumpers on master so I swaped to cable detect but it made no difference.

Hi again, jumpers? How many hard drives do you have? How many jumpers are on each drive?

Just to confirm.

Troy


Jephree and Troy,

Just to let you know I've installed a new HDD and I'm up and running.

Many thanks for your help

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI