collen
Topic Starter
hi
random/random has helped me get rid of the malware on the computer. however, i still have problems, so he referred me here. if anyone can help i'd be very appreciative.
I have a compaq presario R3000 laptop, 80g HD, 768mb RAM, P4 @ 3ghz, XP (installed to second partition of HD).
I have been trying to defrag the d: drive. XP's defrag (as well as other defrag programs) can not complete the defrag. I read that defrag can sometimes complete if XP is run in safe mode. However, I cannot enter safe mode. I don't know how long this has been the case, as I rarely use it. I can select F8 and choose safe mode on bootup, it then shows all the drivers loading on screen, but stops as it gets to multi(0)disk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\DRIVERS\BTHidmgr.sys
The computer also hangs on shut down, as the logoff screen changes to 'Windows is now shutting down'. It will stay on this screen for 10mins+ before shutting down and sometimes just doesn't shut down at all and stays on this screen for hours. —- edit, since random/random has helped me, this seems to take either 6mins or 10mins to shut down every time.
If anyone can help or suggest anything, that would be great.
many thanks
collen